Flexible pipe offset causes leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acii

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a two-pipe well with above-ground pump. The well is approximately 10' outside the house.

The two poly pipes enter the well pit at an angle of approximately 35 degrees from horizontal.

The piece of poly that extends into the well sticks out of the well cap about 2' which allows some flexibility (the larger 1.5" pipe is the problem).

Over the 30 years or so that I've lived there, I've had to open the pit a couple of times (not an easy task), to repair leaks at the union that joins the two pipes.

Recently we pulled the pump in order to replace the foot valve and ejector.
My problem is that I can't seem to get rid of a leak in the new brass union that we put on.

My guess is that the stress of making things fit (the horizontal pipe protrudes from the sidewall only a couple of inches) is too much for a straight-thru fitting. Obviously there is some flexibility in the plastic piping, but getting this thing assembled is difficult.

My question: what might be the best way to join these two pipes to make a good, tight seal while relieving the stress at the joint which appears to, sooner or later, cause problems?

I hope I've been able to make the problem relatively clear.

Please let me know if more information is needed ...and many thanks for reading and offering suggestions if you have one.

Alan

I think you have answered your question. The angle is too great and the pipes just won't bend in that short of a distance. You could re plumb it somehow to make things easier, or maybe go to PVC at the top of the well and use elbows.

You shouldn't have any 1-1/2" pipe, it's 1" and 1-1/4" measured inside.

I often use 2- 90 fittings with a short nipple in between to make a swing joint

you can make any angle you want.

You have a picture of it?

Back