Best plumbing for single bowl sink in basement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusdau

Reaction score
Hopefully a pretty simple question for most here...

I just installed single bowl sink in basement bar area. When we moved in, the section already had rough-in for drain and supply lines where in also.

What is best method now for plumbing of the sink drain? The drain pipe is 2 1/2" PVC that comes right out of the floor 16" or so. Roughed in during initial construction(2007), so is it probably vented elsewhere?? Hole for sink drain is a couple feet above it, and then offset 6" or so to the right.

Thanks for any input.

Dustin

Last edited:
You will need to add an air admittance valve under the cabinet to vent it.
Put the drain assembly onto the sink, add the flanged tailpiece. Then cut the 2" pipe at the appropriate height, glue a 2"x2"x1 1/2" sanitary tee on, then attach the trap to the side of the tee, and an air admittance valve to the top, as high as possible.

Put the drain assembly onto the sink, add the flanged tailpiece. Then cut the 2" pipe at the appropriate height, glue a 2"x2"x1 1/2" sanitary tee on, then attach the trap to the side of the tee, and an air admittance valve to the top, as high as possible.

That's what I was after. Thanks.

Getting around to plumbing my sink. I got feedback like yours saying use aav, and some saying it's not needed...that it is vented already.

The 2" floor drain was put in during initial construction with anticipation of a basement bar sink. Also basement full bath if that's a factor. Given they were all put in during construction, is it likely the venting is done??

Thanks, Dustin

If the pipe is already trapped underneath the slab, as a floor drain would be, then it is not set up to be used as a bar sink drain. If it isn't trapped, then it does need a vent.

You can determine this by pouring some water down the pipe, then shining a flashlight down it and see if has standing water in it. Water means it is trapped, no water means it isn't trapped.

Latest posts

Back