Water Softener Installation?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prickett

Reaction score
Recently I bought a GE water softener from Home Depot to replace an old/failed water softener. I read the installation manual ahead of time so I could buy the appropriate parts to hook it up. When I told the workers at HD what I needed they said they didn't sell those parts. I thought it odd they sold a WS that there was no way to hook up.

The WS has a 1" plastic hook up (male) for both incoming and outgoing water. I needed to tie that into my 3/4" copper pipes. After three workers struggled for about 20 minutes to find a solution, I finally ended up with:

* 1" female to 3/4" female galv
* 3/4" male to 3/4" male galv
* 3/4" female to 3/4" Sharkbite

I'm a noob, but I don't think you want to be hooking galv to copper - contrary to what the employee said (he said I'd be ok, so long as it was cold water - I don't believe this to be true).

I'd like to order plastic parts that mimic the setup above, and, if possible hook to a copper fitting of some sort.

Can someone tell me what parts I need (I searched a site selling PVC parts, but am not sure of the nomenclature of what I need)? And, if you know of a site selling said parts, that would be great too.

TIA,
Todd

Throw away those galvanized fittings. They dont care if the water is hot or cold, they will corrode over time and plug up.

You want to use PVC. 3/4" copper to sharkbite male connectors. Then use 3/4" to 1 " pvc adapters.

Most simple fix is exchange the galv. for brass but you should have a bypass that can adapt to pex or have copper fittings that came with the GE softener if not you will have to contact them or a softener supply house to buy the bypass kit or take the softener back and find a more reputable one that includes everything and is going to last longer!

Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine
304 Meadowlark Drive, Alpine, UT 84004
(801) 960-1567 ‎
www.benfranklinplumbingalpine.com

Softeners are not usually manufactured for the diy homeowner. However most homeowners can easily hook them up. There are several ways to hook them up and several optional features as add ons. That is why a kit to hook them up is not included.

You do not want to use galv steel with copper or brass. Corrosion will occur. Over time you will not be able to undo the connections. However you can use copper and brass together. As the galv steel breaks down, this can take years, elements from the galv steel can leach into the water.

Last edited:
Water softeners work by exchanging one salt for another salt, unfortunately the salt that ends up in the softened water is harmful to plants.
Actually they exchange salt for hardness particles.

Latest posts

Back