HELP: Faulty Flapper Fiasco

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nim6us

n00b
Reaction score
I'm not, nor have I ever claimed to be a "handy guy"; we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I for example can build you a computer from a pile of parts. I cannot however fix a faulty toilet flapper. Here's the scenario...

My toilet sounds like it's running and running all the time, I dismiss the issue for more pressing matters, I got my next months utility bill and the water usage had quadrupled from last month. The toilet now has my attention. As previously mentioned, not being that handy I survey my local friends and family for a reputable plumbing service and get several votes for Liberty Plumbing And Septic (Well deserved plug: Offices in Auburndale, Lakeland, Plant City, and Winter Haven Florida FL) So I call their office and Joel answers, he's polite, courteous and get's me an appointment the next business day. The serviceman who arrives, surveys the situation and diagnoses the issue as a faulty flapper. He very honestly and graciously advises he can fix it, but for parts + time + labor it would be three times as much as if we were to do the repair ourselves, and that the repair is quite easy, as toilet repairs go. My wife calls me with the prognosis and we take the kind repairman up on his offer to fix it ourselves.

I just want to pause briefly to say, you just don't see that kind of business ethic very often anymore. Yes he could have charged me the full amount, tripled his fee and been about his day. However the fact he was upfront about the repair and what it entailed meant he still collected his service call fee and now has created a very happy customer who will recommend everyone he knows to Liberty Plumbing And Septic. Also I'll come back to him for future service because I know if I can trust him on this little job, I won't have to fear getting taken advantage of on bigger calls. Other companies would be wise to follow this model, as it turns a one time sale, into a lifelong customer.

Back to the story...

I stop by my local Lowes with my old flapper in hand. I match it up exactly to the Plumb Pak Rubber Flapper. I go home, do the install, and aside from having to remove a few links from the chain, it went great. I felt pretty good about myself for the next few days. Then all the sudden, the toilet won't stop running again! Taking what little knowledge I'd picked up, I removed the lid and flushed again looking for the problem. It turns out the flapper sometimes won't, well, flap shut. It's like it gets stuck right on the rim, I know now when people say "jiggle the handle" what's happening. You're shaking the chain inside until the flapper catches and falls shut to make the seal. I guess pretty commonly know to most plumbers, but I found it very insightful.

Getting to the real crux of the question then: How do I fix this? I have a few ideas, but I don't know what the best option is.
  • Find a flapper with a smaller dome, as that's what's getting caught
  • Weigh down the flapper somehow so it falls shut harder
  • Continually tell guests to jiggle the handle
So if there are some seasoned plumbers, or do-it-yourselfer's out there, I'm sure many of you have seen this before. If you have a quick moment, please let me know what you think I should do with this faulty flapper fiasco.

Post a photo of the tank inners and what brand toilet

Okay it's an American Standard, and here is the picture. By the way I didn't realize how awful the flash would make my tank look... Eww!!

20120710_211341.jpg

Last edited:
From the looks of the water line on the tank the fill valve isn't turning off. It looks like the water level is at the over flow.

John

Last edited:
I would replace the fill valve, it does appear the water level is to high. The kink hose could caused more water pressure to come out the base of the fill valve, which could affect the flapper when flapper is reseating.

So I was noticing the dome on the flapper is what's getting caught, what if I got a flapper with a smaller dome? Is that an option or is the dome that high for a reason?

Are you talking about the float on the flapper chain? That is a adjustment for the length of time the flapper stays open. I continue to believe it's the fill valve than needs replacement.

John

It can be clearly seen the fill valve is not shutting the water off when filling, and water is running down the overflow pipe....replace the fill valve with a fluidmaster 400-a from lowes or home depot for about 8 bucks.....if flapper still acts up, buy a harsh water flapper....they have a rigid frame that guides the flapper back down in a straight line. First i woyld just push the yellow float down the chain until it is about one inch above the red flapper top....see how that works.....but def replace the fill valve.

Yep, one of these! Also, make sure the flexible hose from the fill valve to the center tube is not kinked.

fluidmaster 400a.jpg

Here's something to think about.. Is the refill hose (running from the ballcock to the overflow pipe) have the end lower than the water level when filled? If so it will siphon water out of the tank until the water drops below the end of the hose. This is why FluidMaster has that plastic fitting to go on the end of the hose. Sounds weird but I spent 1 1/2 hours before I figured it out.

I would look to get a new fill valve and flapper, also you want something that fits what your toilet holds, like 3.5gpf, 1,28 gpf, or even 1.6 gpf. I totally recommend Korky Fill Valves. Here is a perfect one that would fit your toilet, also you can remove the big black cistern in your toilet. http://www.zorotools.com/g/00106571/k-G4264522?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CPyYzIPitLUCFckx4AodihwAug

Wish you luck!
:)

Latest posts

Back