Low Pressure - Hot Water in Kitchen Faucet Only

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbgray

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just moved into a new house that was built in the late 80's. We've got forced hot water heat (via natural gas boiler) as well as a SuperStor hot water tank. Great water pressure throughout the house with the exception of the hot water in the kitchen faucet. I cleaned out the aeroter on the faucet and replaced the flexible hose that connects to the hot water supply under the kitchen sink just to be safe but it didn't make a difference.

Here's where it gets tricky, I turned off the output from the SuperStor, where the showers/faucets get their hot water from. Kitchen faucet still has hot water at that point with same low pressure but (rightfully so) there is no hot water elsewhere in the house. That means that the hot water for kitchen faucet is probably fed off the forced hot water system for the heat. At this point, I'm at a loss. I have some plumbing skills but playing around with the forced hot water system is a little above me. Anyone have any ideas on how I get better pressure to the kitchen faucet?

Before you concern yourself with the type of heating system, did you check for pressure when you changed the flexible supply to the hot side of the faucet. Remove the connection again from the faucet and aim the end into a bucket. Open the valve to see if you have full pressure up to the faucet. The issue may be in the faucet cartridge/stem. It's a process of elimination game sometimes. Let us know.

Wow, great thought. Sure enough, the water coming out of the braided hose had some very high pressure. The bucket I used filled up in about 15 seconds. Water was splashing all over the place, very amusing. My wife and I really don't like the look of the faucet and were planning on buying a new one any way. I am going to head over after work and buy a new faucet and put it in. I will let you know how it works out.

Great call, and thanks for the tip. Sometimes it really is the simplest answer.

Well the new faucet did the trick. Thanks again for the reality check. Case closed!

Latest posts

Back