Gap between spout and wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlarneyStone

Reaction score
I was using a shower that I never use and I saw that when the shower is on, a gap opens up between the bathtub spout and the wall. While this explains why the caulk was cracking, it also points out that I have a problem. I took the spout off and put it back on making sure that it was flush with the wall. The spout stayed put when I turned on the water and filled the tub, but when I switched the water to the shower, the gap opened up again. Is there an obvious fix here that I just don't know or does this mean that my pipes are not secured properly?

The spout that I have is a slip on type. Thanks for any help.

sounds like the piping for your shower head may not b secured. if you grab the shower head and gently push it in and pull it dose it move? or maybe the set screw under the tub spout is loose and the pressure is pushing the spout out.

Thanks for your quick response. The shower head is secure, but the bathtub spout definitely moves. I'd like to think that I didn't secure the set screw well, but I've taken it off and put it back on twice now and it's pretty tight (the spout won't twist at all). Is there anything short of getting the pipes secured that can be done?

dosent sound like it, if the wall behind the shower valve is just drywall you could cut an access and secure the piping. most big box stores sell paint-able plastic access panels that just snap in. i would get one first then cut your hole to make sure it will cover.

You might want to consider modifying the spout nipple to a threaded connection. That way you'll be able to tighten the spout against the tub wall and eliminate the "slack" in the pipe from the lack of it being secured. If it's a copper nipple, just sweat on a male adapter and get a spout that threads on (as opposed to a slip-on).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if a can of expanding foam would secure it enough to avoid punching thru the backside of the wall?

weld the 1/2 mip on the pipe, thats the best way, all this talk about a compression spout is simply foolish

I think what is being missed here when recommending the 1/2" mip adapter is :
1. Does the poster know how to property solder the adapter on?
2. When you tighten it all of the way on, if it lacks support, it still may do the same thing. To thread and tighten the spout would just continue to pull the unsupported pipe forward until the threads bottomed out and the pipe would still be loose.
The pipe needs to be supported or the valve. One, the other or both. The type of spout used is not relevant to the cause or the fix.
"I'm wondering if a can of expanding foam would secure it enough to avoid punching thru the backside of the wall? " might be the way to go if it is allowed to cure for 24 hours and can fill the void enough with out sloughing down the inside of the wall.

I think what is being missed here when recommending the 1/2" mip adapter is :

Good call.
The company I work for in no way would allow us, as a professional to make a repair like that, BUT it would be an option to try instead of cutting open the wall to secure it.

If it is a single handle valve and if the cover plate is removed, sometimes you can slide a piece of wood in between the pipe going down to the stub out to tighten it up against the inside of the wall.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I might try to do some wall surgery this weekend and see if I can secure the pipes. Wish me luck.

Plan B: You could use a Delta tub diverter. Because of their unique design, you can tighten these diverters as much as 1.5" to 2", using the force between the spout body and the tub wall as a means of supporting the spout nipple. This range should be more than enough to secure it nice and tight. This also saves you from opening the wall. The image below gives you an idea of how these diverters are designed. The only drawback is that the brass adapter does need to be soldered onto the copper pipe.

Delta.jpg

yes, i like the delta, however all the ones i have seen were plastic.. i once had a problem when solder got on the threads, and wrecked the spout

That seems really interesting. Unfortunately, I've never soldered anything before... Is there anything similar that does not require soldering? Or maybe I just need to learn to solder.

if it were my home i would get into the wall and secure it properly, unless you have back to back tub-shower or some other reason you cant or dont want to open some drywall. these other methods may work but doing it right will work. good luck

Latest posts

Back