What are these components?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattjames

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm no professional but I've always done my own plumbing repairs.

I bought this house earlier this spring. I wasn't getting any hot water to the one shower, which is a good ways from the water heater, but I was getting hot water to the sink.

Leaving the shower on full hot getting zero water we were looking for a valve to get this thing going(house was forclosed and not occupied for months).

We tried turning what we thought were valves under the sink(shown in attached picture, with a flat blade screwdriver). But then something let loose in the shower valve and I've had hot water ever since.

Sadly though, those parts in the pictures have slowly leaked ever since(June)

Now lately the sink aerator and shower head have been cloggin up with fine black material. I'm guessing these are rubber seals deteriorating inside. The black material isn't coming from any other water fixture in the house except in the house except this bathroom. Must be these components, right?

But what are they? Pressure balance? Check valve? I couldn't tell you which pipes are hot or cold at the moment though until later today when I get home.

Thanks

plumbing woes.jpg

Thanks I guess, but what are these? I don't want to just put a tee in there and hook it up straight without knowing what they do!

It is a tempering valve. mixes cold to hot water when the hot water system is to hot to safely use for showers. middle line mixed going to shower. If your water temp is not to hot 125F or and you have a mixing valve at your shwr you can adjust the temp, you can probably take it out. It's safe guard against getting scalded.

I actually got into the wall to see what pipe was what. Turned out it was hooks up wrong since '89. Top pipe was the hot. Removed the valves. Capped the hot and looped the cold to the toilet. All good now but the black specks are still coking through the shower....but not in any other appliance in the house?

Crud in your pipes follow the path of least resistance. Assuming your shower allows water to flow faster than most appliances inside your home, the crud will follow. I'd recommend removing any aerators from all the faucets and allow the water to purge the black specks.

I actually let the shower run without the head for a whole and they kept coming. Maybe longer? It was for maybe ten minutes at the most. The cold side doesn't show the particles just the hot.

If the house was sitting unused for a long period and the hot side is blowing out black specks, maybe the hot water tank needs a good flushing. The drain on the water heater may be aged and could continue to leak after use, so be prepared for a potential leak. Capture some of the water when you flush it and see if it also has the black specks in it.
Be sure to check the shut down and start up routine for the tank if it is gas or electric before starting.
It will need to be off before flushing the tank and the water inside will still be hot.
If you need some more guidance on flushing the tank, let us know.

Last edited:
It has the original water heater in it. A State brand, self cleaning but I know how that goes... I'll try that and see what happens!

Back