Flexible Pop-Up Sink Drain Leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replacement sink drain does not line up with p-trap...it's off by about 3/4". The p-trap is pvc and there isn't enough of it to cut and adjust. I tried a flexible pop-up drain but it leaks. Any tips to stop the leaks or should I just replace the p-trap all the way to the wall pipe and use a straight pop-up drain?

Pictures always help to get a better idea of what the situation is and also how to solve it.

Are flexible pop-up sink drains even code compliant?
If you are talking about the tailpiece shown in the picture, the answer is no. They are not code compliant.
Even though codes may allow an offset in a tailpiece and the product is made of PVC, flexible tailpieces' interior walls are not smooth due to the accordion design and are an atypical piping product that must meet material approval, installation and durability guidelines required by codes.
There are lots of products on the market that are not code compliant, but are perfectly legal to sell.

flextailpiece.jpg

This is another famous product that is not code, but somebody is making millions off of.

noclogtrap.jpg

That is crazy!! I want one. I am easily entertained. :rolleyes:

Stoppages almost never occur in the p-trap.
But just in case I drop a ring down it, it will be easy to go fishing for it.

https://youtu.be/eUW8QOXXo9M

Last edited:
If you are talking about the tailpiece shown in the picture, the answer is no. They are not code compliant.
Even though codes may allow an offset in a tailpiece and the product is made of PVC, flexible tailpieces' interior walls are not smooth due to the accordion design and are an atypical piping product that must meet material approval, installation and durability guidelines required by codes.
There are lots of products on the market that are not code compliant, but are perfectly legal to sell.

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-954667enh-z7.jpg

Back