whats this tool called

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimpilky

Reaction score
I am looking for the name of this tool it is used to make a olive print in the copper pipe instead of useing an olive
I remember using these at college but can't remember the name of it
I remember you out it in the copper pipe and when you turn tge handle the ball bearing makes the olive in print in the pipe please help me as been racking my brain all week to remember the name and can you still buy them

olive puller, i think.

http://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/olive-removers/how-do-you-use-an-olive-puller

Home >
Olive Removers >
How to use an olive puller

How to use an olive puller

Before you begin

Prior to use, ensure the pipe is clean, burr and swarf free, and not distorted.

burrs, copper pipe, plumbing, swarf
Burrs

Burrs are small chips of metal left over, typically after a piece of metal has been cut, or otherwise shaped.

Swarf iron filings metal shavings wonkee donkee tools DIY guide
Swarf

Swarf refers to any sort of excess material (such as: shavings, chippings or filings) from any metal, plastic or wood cutting process.

Swarf is a general term for such chippings and each trade may have its own specific terminology. For example, wood swarf is more commonly known as "sawdust."

olive puller, plumbing tool, copper pipe, brass, compression fitting
An olive puller can only remove 15mm (0.6") and 22mm (0.9") olives. If your olive is smaller or larger than this then you will need the corresponding olive cutters.

Olive cutters come in a range of sizes from 8mm - 28mm (0.3 - 1")

Removing 15mm olives

spindle, insert spindle into 15mm body, olive puller, copper pipe, plumbing tool
Step 1 - Insert spindle

Insert the spindle into the 15mm body. The threads of the spindle will interlock with the internal threads of the 15mm body.

olive puller, plumber tool, copper pipes, 15mm, retract the spindle
Step 2 - Retract spindle

Retract the spindle as far as it will go.

insert olive puller into 15mm copper pipe, olive puller, plumbing tool
Step 3 - Fit olive puller onto pipe

Fit the olive puller into the 15mm pipe. The 15mm pusher should fit snugly into the pipe and the pusher's shoulder will stop it going any further into the pipe.

olive puller, copper pipe, compression fitting nut, 15mm, plumbing tool
Step 4 - Screw body into compression fitting

Screw the 15mm body into the compression fitting nut.

olive puller, plumbing tool, brass, copper pipes, rotate the spindle
Step 5 - Rotate spindle

Slowly rotate the spindle using the T-bar handle. This will force the spindle down into the body and against the pusher.

As the spindle pushes against the pusher it forces the body to draw up and pull the olive from the pipe. This action is similar to how a corkscrew functions.

olive puller, plumbing tool, copper pipe, 15mm, compression fitting nut, brass
Step 6 - Unscrew nut

Unscrew the compression fitting nut and remove from 15mm body.

olive puller, plumbing tool, 15mm, remove from pipe, compression fitting nut
Step 7 - Remove olive puller

Remove the olive puller from the 15mm copper pipe.

olive puller, plumbing tool, copper pipe, 15mm, removing an olive, brass
Step 8 - Remove olive

The olive will be contained within the 15mm body.

Congratulations! You have successfully removed your olive!

Removing 22mm olives

olive puller 22mm, plumbing tool, copper pipes, compression fitting, brass
Step 1 - Select right sized adaptor

To remove 22mm olives, you will need to use the 22mm pusher adaptor.

olive puller 22mm, copper pipes, plumbing tool, brass
Step 2 - Place pusher into pipe

Place the 22mm pusher into the end of the copper pipe. The pusher's shoulder will stop it going too far into the pipe.

olive puller, plumbing tool, copper pipe 22mm, compression fitting, brass tool
Step 3 - Attach body

Attach the 22mm body to the 15mm body and spindle.

olive puller, 22mm, copper pipes, plumbing tool, brass tool, compression fitting
Step 4 - Fit body onto pipe

Fit the 22mm body over the pusher and onto the 22mm pipe.

olive puller, plumbing tool, copper pipes, compression fitting nut, brass 22mm
Step 5 - Screw on nut

Screw the compression fitting nut onto the 22mm body.

olive puller, 22mm, compression fitting nut, brass tool, plumbing tool
Step 6 - Rotate spindle

Slowly rotate the spindle using the T-bar handle. This will drive the spindle into the pusher and force the 22mm body up and pull the olive from the pipe.

olive puller, compression fitting nut, copper pipe, plumbing tool, olive remover, 22mm
Step 7 - Unscrew nut

Unscrew the compression fitting nut from the 22mm body.

olive puller, copper pipes, plumbing tool, olive remover, 22mm, compression fitting
Step 8 - Remove olive

The olive will be contained within the 22mm body.

Congratulations! You have successfully removed your olive!

an "OLIVE" is what i call a compression ring.

i have never seen this tool before, I've used a crescent wrench to coax/pull them off for years

what are you going to do with it ?

Plumbest and Lasco handle pullers with adapter for pulling olives. Available at most home improvement stores.

handlepuller.jpg

Yes it set it the in the copper pipe so you dont have to use an olive

Never heard of what I call a compression ring or ferrule called an olive before.
But what he is asking is a tool that does not remove the ferrul but instead forms one in the tube. there is a cam inside the tool that when inserted into the tube and turned it pushes the balls out. continue turning the tool and it forms a bead/olive in the pipe it self.

I have 2 tools similar to this one for 3/8 and one for 5\16 tubing. We called them beading tools

Now I am going to have to dig it out take a picture of it.

Similar but not for making olives. used for beading tubing to hold a friction ring. friction ring prevent tube from sliding out of a cone washer on a stop valve or fixture connection. nobody uses them anymore because hose assemblies are easier and widely available.

Why do you need to make an olive?

003.jpg

actually, looks like a huge PITA to use tite up against a wall...i like to put my stops up against the esctions. do not like copper showing

nasty looking, i use a pair of 15's...with the handle a finger width from wall...works out just right

You could get them for 15 and 22 but not sure if you can get bigger

Latest posts

Back