Drain Cap in Basement floor leaks when it rains

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javs

Reaction score
In my basement there is a cap in the floor that is sealed with a wing nut. When it rains, it leaks and partially floods my basement. I have a couple questions. What is the purpose of the cap? Why does it flood? Is this cap something I can replace myself? Will replacing it solve my flooding problem? If it won't solve the problem, what can I do to stop the flooding? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but this keeps happening and I am now fully committed to fixing it. I greatly appreciate any help you could give me.

This is just a guess, but my thought is that the wing nut and cap seal a roof drain system cleanout. Do you you have a flat roof on you house that is drained by roof drains?

Otherwise, my second guess is that you have a septic system that is being flooded out by the rains, and the excess water is backing up through this sewer cleanout in your basement.

I'm wondering if this is suppose to contain one of those "one way" check valves, which we have spoken about previously, and needs replacing?

Its a storm drain and its full of roots.

The wing nut is what we call around here an expansion plug. If I cut out a threaded cap and the threads get trashed in the process, this cap has a rubber gasket that expands when you tighten the wing nut.

Call a plumber!

Sounds like a Plumbers test plug to me. If you unscrew the wing nut, you can remove the plug. I would do that, when it is not raining, and see if the rubber seal on the plug is decayed or broken. You can buy new one.

Latest posts

Back