Need Faucet Advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossA

Reaction score
I want (need) to replace my kitchen faucet with something that has a higher flow rate. City water pressure isn't a problem, other faucets in the house run fine. Plenty of flow to kitchen supply lines, so that's not the problem. It's just the danged new lower flow faucets.
Here is what I am looking for:
Single mounting hole
Pull out spray head
Brushed nickel
Single control handle
LOTS and LOTS of water!

I've considered a commercial faucet, but most of them don't have one or more of my other requirements (wife's requirements).

Alternatively, would love to find something with the above features that I can modify to increase flow rate.

I can't be the only guy out there wanting more water.

Free beer for life to whoever can help. Thanks

The problem that you are running in to is that federal law dictates the maximum flow of water for a faucet to 2.2 gallons per minute to all manufacturers in the US. Any imports are required to follow the same restrictions to be allowed to distribute in the US. As others have stated on other posts relating to the issue, you would have to remove the flow restrictor to increase your actual flow rate.
What a lot of people experience when doing this to a kitchen or bathroom faucet...and sometimes to the shower head, but not as often...is an undesirable change to the dynamic of the water flow.
Most professional plumbers will not recommend removal of the flow restrictor based on ethics and principals. I am one of those plumbers, but I do feel your pain.
Let's get back to dynamics and performance. That's actually what people are complaining about. I had an old Delta in my house when I bought it and when I upgraded it I installed a Moen Castleby with pull out sprayer. The flow rate was the same, but the dynamic of the sprayer was ideal for truly rinsing dishes clean from my experience with them. I know that model doesn't fit your criteria, just using it as an example.
So, my question to help you and the others on this forum to find a solution for your problem is this; Do you really need more volume or is it more of a performance issue with your current faucet?

I guess that I should add that there are other factors that may effect the performance of your faucet regardless of the make or model. Do you have an older house with galvanized steel water pipes? Are the main trunk lines 1/2" or 3/4" so that you have adequate volume to reduce pressure drops? Do you know what your pressure actually is? Do you have an adjustable regulator? Let us know a few of these details, also.

1/2" galvanized lines, but the pressure is good everywhere else. As a matter of fact, before we remodeled the kitchen and we had ancient faucets there, we had great pressure, so I suspect that it's just a faucet issue. If I knew how to remove the restrictor, I could try that, and if it messes up the dynamics of the flow, I could put it back in.
BTW, beer of choice to whoever can solve this!

Uuuhhh, Ok, help me out here. If the lines are the problem, then why do I have great pressure everywhere else? It's not like I have 1/2" galvanized in the kitchen, and 3/4" PVC everywhere else.
What am I missing?

Galvanized lines can build up with rust particles. When the water is turned off for any reason then turned back on these particles can become loose and lodge in the line causing to become plugged. It's time to replace the galvanized lines.

Ross, consider your plumbing as a huge tree trunk. The base of the tree is your incoming water source. The leaves of the tree are your faucets. When a chunk of iron or calcium breaks off from the galvanized pipes, it heads towards the leaves, and will sometimes become lodged at the valve. Many times you can test by disconnecting the supply lines to the faucet, and checking the pressure. If you still have great pressure at the supply lines, chances are your faucet may have become plugged with sediment.

I'd love to figure out how to get those darn things out.

Not to hijack this, but could the faucet become clogged with sediment if someone has pvc but has well water with a lot of sediment? (My kitchen sink has lower pressure after replacing the jet pump-- but pressure has not changed on the other faucets-- it also runs when the sprayer is on).

And Rossa, you never said whether the issue was performance or volume.
Do you want it to spray harder? Or do you want more water to come out to fill things faster?

Also, when you said pull-out spray head, you mean like this?
P14003767.jpg

or
P13996882.jpg

or
P15007109.jpeg

(Those are all from Overstock)

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm afraid that replacing all of the lines isn't an option, at least not until I win the lottery. Replacing lines means tearing out walls (some of them brick), tearing out tile in bathrooms, replacing all lines, redoing all walls, brick, tile, etc. Sounds like many thousands of dollars to me.
I'll keep looking for a solution that a working man can afford!

Sounds like when you shut the water off your galvanized piping could have let some scale fall off inside the pipe and clog up the new faucet. I fight this all the time since newer faucets have smaller ports it is easier for the corrosion inside the galvanized to clog up lines and valve ports. One option to try is to disassemble everything and try blowing everything out with an air compressor. This usually works for me.

Zanne, my faucet is more like the third one you pictured. I guess my next step is to try to take out the faucet and try to disassemble it and clean it out. Already took off the "spout" and couldn't see how to get the rest of it out. I wish my wife would have wanted an old time faucet that I could take apart instead of one of the fancy looking things that don't come apart very easily.

Zanne, my faucet is more like the third one you pictured. I guess my next step is to try to take out the faucet and try to disassemble it and clean it out. Already took off the "spout" and couldn't see how to get the rest of it out. I wish my wife would have wanted an old time faucet that I could take apart instead of one of the fancy looking things that don't come apart very easily.

I hope you can get it apart and clean it. It would suck for you to have to get a new faucet.

Maybe you can find a video on how to take yours apart and clean it out?

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back