Advice on fixing Diverter valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billfig

Reaction score
Hi, The small push/pull lever? for sending water to shower head, is that called a diverter valve? Anyways ours leaks into the tub and is stuck/seized for years now since we only use the shower now. I assume I will have to shut off water?, remove the main faucet valve knob & cover/plate screws for starters...is this a straight forward/easy job and are the parts/seal available anywhere being it's a Delta..but 24 yrs.old.
What's used normally to seal around the downspout, just white silicone caulk?

IMG_5708Bath valve .jpg

IMG_5709Bath valve .JPG

Looks like an old delta 600 series. Probably a 602. You have guessed exactly what you have to do to fix it, which should be easy enough.

1) Shut off the water to the shower.
2) Remove knob
3) Remove faceplate.
4) Unscrew the old diverter stem. (I seem to remember this being 7/8")
5) Repeat steps 1-4 in reverse order.

The new diverter stem is readily available, Lowe's item number 176062.

delta601.png

As for sealing around the tub spout, white silicone is the most common solution. get a good kitchen and bath type with microban in it to prevent mold buildup.

Thanks! I did replace the diverter valve and I just put another downspout on too cause mine was shot underneath. I still have a small amount of water that comes out the downspout, is this a normal operation? Also I got one with the diverter built in(all they had) could I just use this dv for shower or is my main valve not compatible with that type of operation?

Wow they didn't have a diverterless spout? Weaksauce. you will need to pull both diverters to use that spout now.

If the spout drips a bit after use it is nothing to worry about, that is just water bleeding out of the line. If your shower head drips or the spout drips for a long, long time then you may want to consider changing out your seats and springs (part 7 in the imagae linked in my previous post)

right now I have both the built-in valve diverter and I just got the spout with diverter put on too, 1st, can I just use the spout diverter for shower and if yes, will it cause any backup leak or anything?

2nd when using either diverter(shower running) I still get a 1/8"-1/4" stream coming out the spout? a guy said if I replace the seats and springs on my Delta 636 it will correct this?? I called Delta & they are sending me new seats/springs/cam/packing and cover at no charge...:)

Latest posts

Back