No valve in curb-side water main.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatisrice

Reaction score
Okay, a year ago I turned my water on and off at the main curb-site meter/main box. I went out there today and there's no valve out there anymore. Are cities coming by and removing them? Perhaps so they can operate them remotely by computer or something?

I swear it was there, and it's not now.

Thanks,

Are you saying there is no valve on either side of the meter? Maybe the valves are there just with no handles? I really dont think they would or could remove an existing valve.

All I could add is the fact that they just replaced all the shut off valves and meters at my vacation home, and the new set ups were positioned in an area 3' away from the old one.

I cannot imagine how they could move or remove the valve(s) without letting you know, since there would be an interuption in water service. Shutting off the water main would be the only way to remove the valve between the main and the meter. Even if the valves were changed to operate by "computer", they still have to be physically there.

I cannot imagine how they could move or remove the valve(s) without letting you know, since there would be an interuption in water service. Shutting off the water main would be the only way to remove the valve between the main and the meter. Even if the valves were changed to operate by "computer", they still have to be physically there.

I would assume that if they did swap out the valve to work with a computer it would then have a solenoid or some sort of electric motor on it to make it work.

Think about this for a second....

how much would it cost to install a solenoid over an existing curb valve?
Do you really think that the city would spend all that cash on valves that dont need replacing ?

... basically, NO

so the vave must be there. perhaps folliage has grown over it?

if you are really unsure then just phone and ask, and if need be have them shut off the main and watch where they go to do it... IF ( in a highly unlikely situation ) they did replace it it would still have to be accessiblle Solenoid or not.. which its not.

Logistics tell me so

As for the meter malfunctioning, a posative displacement meter is fairly simple and will not often fail... if it does they would **** the line down and replace it.... simple.

Last edited:
My question was rhetorical. In other words, there has to be a valve there for maintenance/replacement of the meter...simple.

Valve is still there had to be covered over one question did you see anyone dig in yard to remove valve if not it's there

Our water department will change curb stops live. They dont turn the water off. Here is the process. They turn the existing valve off and disconnect the meter...even if it leaks....no matter they just unscrew it and let it blow water. With the new valve in the open position they screw it on while the water is blowing. Yes they get wet.

Some of them use a sqeeze off tool. This tool crimps the plastic or copper feed to shut the water off. After the valve replacement or a valve is installed period the tool reforms the coppa to near it original shape. Rex wheeler makes one of the tools.........easy peasy baby.

Back