A couple pics of my work.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The contractor adding a new branch to the 12" main by our shop on campus opened the main valve full bore to test. One of his guys was standing IN THE TRENCH next to the new connections and caps. No kickers were installed yet.
A few of us asked aloud "Hey, dude, shouldn't you get out of there while testing?"
He said "Nah, nothin to worry about, it should be fine."
Then BOOM! Connection failed right below his feet, shot a blast of water up about 20 feet and knocked him on his butt.
Soaked and embarrassed he was helped out from coworkers and just walked away...lucky for him.
'I told you so' was on the tip of every ones tongues.

The contractor adding a new branch to the 12" main by our shop on campus opened the main valve full bore to test. One of his guys was standing IN THE TRENCH next to the new connections and caps. No kickers were installed yet.
A few of us asked aloud "Hey, dude, shouldn't you get out of there while testing?"
He said "Nah, nothin to worry about, it should be fine."
Then BOOM! Connection failed right below his feet, shot a blast of water up about 20 feet and knocked him on his butt.
Soaked and embarrassed he was helped out from coworkers and just walked away...lucky for him.
'I told you so' was on the tip of every ones tongues.

Yikes. Looks like he was overconfident. Fortunately he wasn't hurt, but I think he learned his lesson. At least I hope he did.

Pics would be a nice addition to your post Cad!

Yeah, should have had the phone handy. Maybe next time. There may be plenty of 'next times' in the future. Seems the construction contractors have a track record of oopsies during the projects.
Last month they also hit a 4160 volt vault with a 36" core drill bit and blew out power to half the campus. :eek:Again, lucky nobody got hurt, but safety around here can't be stressed enough. Sadly, last year around this time the electrical inspector was killed while inspecting the new 4160V switchgear that was installed by another contractor.
Okay, enough Debby-Downer news. Let's see what fun I can get into today at work!:D

Did you find a new one yet?

So did you end up working on Xmas or just posting the photos then?

We snuck out at 1:30 Christmas Eve. I still had all of my Christmas shopping to do.

Except for the kitchen remodel that my wife got for her birthday and Christmas, I have been buying that for over a month.

Ooh! That looks nice, phishfood!

I fully understand the union mentality now, I will go into depth later.

So a little about this, I am working on this very large project which has hired both union and non union contractors. I personally think that unions have had there time and place and now days most of them do little to help the employee and will go out of their way to hurt the non union guy. Don't take this personally any of you union guys, this is just from my dealings with them here locally on my projects.

I have spoken with several guys on this project alone from both union and private and have experienced for myself. When a union company shows up to the job they feel the jobsite is theirs and anyone else better get out of the way. On my job the steel guys and welders (Union) don't even ask others to get out of the way, there was electricians (Private) working in that are long before they showed up and they just pushed them out to do their work, they also started two fires in my materials because they would not wait until we were done to start work, when I asked them if they were going to pay for what they ruined I was told No and that I should have rushed to move my stuff out of their way.

Now onto the graders (union), they showed up in my work area a couple days before I was done and started grading which was fine until they started taking my dirt and running over and removing my staking, they also buried 5 grand worth of my rock. I asked them twice to not do that and there response was "Not my problem" I asked them if they could not remove the staking and he assured me they don't hit stakes yet I was missing about 5 in a row. I fought with them for two days and it took me parking my equipment in their way just to get them to stop ruining my work. They also tore out a couple hundred feet of the electricians pipe and the response then was also "Not our problem". They made it clear to us that we were nobodies because we are from the private sector as they were laughing because some of our equipment was rented and our pockets were not as deep as theirs. I have not had any good come out of working next to the union guys and that has put a bad taste in my mouth.

Also three of my employees are ex union guys and I have a few friends that are still union. They all agree that the union pushes around the private guys thinking that we are stealing their work.

I could probably go into depth a little better but you should get the jist of it from this.

Latest posts

Back