Kohler toilet problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgreen

Reaction score
(Kohler Rialto one piece toilet, model 3397)
I think I have two problems.
1. The water continues to run (very slowly) when the tank refills after a flush. Lifting up on the float makes it stop but it then starts again after a short time. I replaced the internal water valve but no change.

2. Looks like the flapper leaks. I filled the tank and turned off the water input. After a half hour the tank was empty. It must have drained out around the flapper. I bought a new flapper but it didn't help. Although its a Kohler flapper for my toilet, it doesn't seem to fit properly??

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The first thing I would do is to lift the flapper and feel the rim for any imperfections which would stop the flapper from sealing properly. The second plan of attack would be to inspect how you installed the flapper. Did you use the extended ears which are attached to the overflow tube? Does the back of the flapper seal correctly in the back, towards the tube? Lastly, is their enough slack in the chain to the flapper to allow a full seal or is it a little tight, not allowing the flapper to seat properly?

If all of the above is adjusted properly, the flapper should seal correctly. If not, you have two choices. You will need to either replace the entire overflow tube and flapper seat, or you just might need to look at other flappers other than Kohler brand to see if they seat better for you.

Thanks for the advice.

Another question: I bought a second new flapper and tried my test. I filled the tank and then turned off the water input. A half hour later the tank was empty. I've been assuming the water leaks out around the flapper. But, is there another way it could be leaking into the toilet bowl through the water valve mechanism?

You may have a crack in the filler/overflow tube. They sell replacements at most big box hardware stores.

Double check you model #

When I search for K-3397 I get a K-3395 which is a San Rapheal
The Rialto flush valves are not all the same.
Here's a good link of a diagram.

It could be leaking through the seal of the flush valve where it's mounted to the watercloset.

http://kohlertoiletparts-rialto.html

Last edited:
That is a great exploded diagram you posted Dave. I also believe the problem is within that area.

Thank you all for you help. I think I have the problem resolved. Its been confusing but I think the whole problem has been leaking around the flapper.

I have a second identical Kohler toilet in my house so I took the flapper from it and put it in the problem toilet. Problem solved!

The new flapper I bought looks just like to one from the 2nd toilet so I put the new flapper into the 2nd toilet and it leaked! Seems the new flapper does not seal properly in the tank drain hole. I twisted and pushed on the flapper to try to seat it better and this helped. I then noticed that as the water in the tank rises the weight of the water on the flapper appears to make it seal better. After about 24 hours of time in the tank with much fussing with the flapper it is now holding and working as it should.

Darn Kohler flappers. They will get you every time. Some are proprietary to Kohler, other Kohler toilets allow the use of the universal Fluidmaster flappers. It doesn't matter now, it fixed (for a bit!). Thanks for letting us know the outcome and feel free to pop in her to say hi to us old guys!

I have a second identical Kohler toilet in my house so I took the flapper from it and put it in the problem toilet. Problem solved!

I had a service call similar to that I had 3 toilets and 3 flappers.
One did not work ( dye tested ) so I swapped flapper. Bad flapper.

That sucked cause I had to make a 2nd trip just to replace a stupid flapper.

Flappers are the cause for many call backs to a job.

Latest posts

Back