New Construction (shoddy plumbing)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danreg99

Reaction score
We are currently having our house built and it is in the stages of being framed. We have heard bad things about the plumber that the GC uses and I am starting to wonder if they are true. There is a pvc pipe (vent pipe?) coming out of the concrete crooked in the basement ( see pic ). Is this normal or just shoddy workmanship? Is it code for this to be tied in with the existing stack? Thank you for anyone that can shed some light on my issue.

attachment.php

plumbing vent.jpg

Not knowing any different, i would say that is poor workmanship. I would be a little miffed if i found that.

I would try to get that pipe fixed properly, free of charge since it is their (someones) mistake...

My $.02

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but if the framing was done after the concrete pour, I would say they made the wall about 3"-4" too short on that wall. Regardless of who is at fault right now, extending the wall a few inches would probably be the cheapest way around the situation if it's possible.

It is not totally clear from the pictures, but that appears to be a tub drain boxout on the other side of the pipe in question. Is there another 1 1/2" pipe hiding behind the pipe that is obvious in the picture? If this is the case, I believe that it will be possible for the pipe to be offset back into the wall underneath the skirt of the bath tub. If such is not the case, then the plumber should chip up a small section of concrete to move the pipe back into the wall.

Yes, crooked drain and vent pipes are common, and yes, I consider such things poor workmanship.

It is not totally clear from the pictures, but that appears to be a tub drain boxout on the other side of the pipe in question. Is there another 1 1/2" pipe hiding behind the pipe that is obvious in the picture? If this is the case, I believe that it will be possible for the pipe to be offset back into the wall underneath the skirt of the bath tub. .

No, that is the only pipe you see. Here is another look at it. Would it be unreasonable for me to ask them to jackhammer it up and re-do it? I am just a little concerned for the rest of my house now (plumbing, heating and cooling)!

attachment.php

downsized_0819002005.jpg

Last edited:
If you paid money, I'd have someone correct it, or reduce the price to an amount where someone could either extend the wall or jack out the pipe and repair it. One way or another, if you planned on sheetrocking that wall, something has to change.

I don't feel that it would unreasonable at all. Either the pipe is installed in the wrong spot, or the wall has been framed in the wrong location. Either way, something needs to happen to correct it. It is not unreasonable to ask that if something was done incorrectly, that the contractor who did it fixes it.

Piping is not installed in a position that requires a partial cut-out in wooden plate as yours is. Either the pipe is misplaced or the wall is. Measure using the prints and see which it is. You will be living there for a long time and this is one of the contractors problems. Fix it before the plasterboard goes up.

I will be talking to the builder tommorrow about this and an unlevel floor on the 2nd floor. I should have just stayed in my old house!:mad:

Not making excuses for the guy here but....

Underground plumbing is difficult. Muddy, wet, and sloppy tools can lead to muddy, wet, and sloppy vent (I'm assuming its a vent) pipes. Its also generally dark when your doing an underground. Adding to the difficulty.

I've had concrete guys screw up my vents as well....One well placed boot and some pea gravel piled up.....

As a point of full disclosure. I spent the first two years of my career doing almost exclusively undergrounds. For the most part, residential McMansion cookie cutter homes. Its where I learned. It is also where I send my new apprentices to cut their teeth.

What Im saying is. You shouldn't judge the plumber by one pipe that is out of plumb and easily fixable. The true value of any contractor comes after the sale. Problems arise in every situation, no matter how good the crew is. It's how they deal with those problems that sets the good from the great.

Reed,

We met with the contractor this evening and he agreed that it looks terrible and they will dig it up and plumb it correctly. He seemed like an alright guy so hopefully everything else goes great. Thank you to everyone who replied!

Last edited:
I am glad he is stepping up for you and taking care of the situation.

Latest posts

Back