17 year old Kenmore still running - replace?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumdumgai

Reaction score
Hello. My first post here and hoping to get good advice. I have a Kenmore 50 gal nat gas water heater, with 10 year warranty, that was installed in early 1996. It shows no signs of going bad. Should I go ahead and replace it or let it go until it does shows signs? Thanks.

That will depend on some other factors.

Where is it located? If it is in a location that a leakage failure could cause water damage, then I would replace it. If it is in an open carport with positive drainage, then I might not recommend replacement.

How is your water? If your neighbors have a service plumber on speed dial due to water heater failures, or repipes, then I would replace it last week.

An add-on to what Phishfood has said. The average life for a water heater is 8 to 13 years depending on different factors -- water quality, usuage, etc. Water heaters sometimes shows no signs of failure (signs a home owner might not notice) before failing. Rub your hand down the seam of the water heater , the seam will be in the back of the water heater. You're checking to see if the seam is in tact and not bulging/pulling apart. I will just about bet money your Anode rod is just about completely gone. A new water heater will be more efficient than the one you have now.

Thanks for the input. The water heater is in the basement, most of which is finished. So, if it leaks a lot or bursts a seam, it would do a lot of damage. Also, the anode has never been replaced. I'm going to replace it this month.

Latest posts

Back