Low pressure in one outside faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1yioi87

Reaction score
Low water pressure in one outside faucet. I have 4 outside faucets. The static pressure on 3 of them is 70 pounds. On the last one it is 50 pounds. I have taken the faucet off and run water through the pipe, pressure still 50 psi. The flow is low on this faucet as one would expect. My outside faucets are connected to the supply before it enters the water softener and the rest of the inside plumbing. I have not made any recent changes to the plumbing inside or outside. What I don't understand is how the static pressure in a closed system can be different at two different points. It should be physically impossible.

My only guess is that the faucet has a leak. Frost free hose bibbs can freeze during the winter (especially if a hose was left attached to them all winter). But because of their design, you wouldn't know that it froze until you go to turn it on in spring. Usually, it is obvious that there is a rupture in the shaft of the hose bibb because it leaks water like crazy when you turn it on. But perhaps yours is set up in such a way that masks the leak. Does the hose bibb go through the exterior wall into the crawl space? If so, check the crawl space to see if there is a big puddle of water there. If there is, then you'll need to get that hose bibb replaced.

I just deduced that when 1yioi87 "pulled the faucet off" that it didn't sound like a frost free hose bib. I guess if he/she has FFHB's that's a possibility:)

Latest posts

Back