Better water heater than DIY home store model

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlumbCrazy

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
We currently have a Rheem Tri-Power High Performance 40-gallon 40k btu gas unit that was professionally installed many years ago and will eventually need to be replaced. It has performed very well in that it is has a quick recovery time after someone takes a shower.

I've looked at Home Depot and Menards and am really interested in getting a better model water heater than what they sell, something comparable to what we already have. I've looked at manufacturer websites and it appears the only way to get one of their units is to go through a qualified contractor. Is that true, or is there a way I can buy one and install it myself to save a few bucks?

Avoid the big box hardware stores and visit a plumbing business which will sell retail and wholesale. You will usually get the best product, but will probably pay a few bucks more.

Most plumbing suppliers around here sell to the general public.
Look on line for something you like.
Then find out which supplier carries that manufactures line and they can order one if they do not have it in stock.
We used to sell mainly American Water heaters but we have had a lot of issues with them.
We sell the Bradford White Heaters now. Rudd Rheem is a good heater too.

I agree with Mr. David. I am impressed with the fit and finish of the Bradford White heaters. I have been using State (which is owned by AO Smith along with American) and am really considering switching. I have never had a problem with Ruud/Rheem but the supply house that sells them near me is an extra 20 minutes away. I believe you can still get better grades of heater than the standard 6 year warranty model. I think it is great you want to spend more to get a heater that will last longer, most of my clients want the cheapest thing they can get..... then wonder why they do not last. I guess that is society today. Go with the best quality you can afford would be my recommendation.

Takagi;Navien;Rinnai. Tankless water heaters. Yes, heaters and installation costs a little more, but you'll save after.

so what's the difference between water heaters?? What makes one better than the other?

I heard the only difference between a 6 year vs 12 year is that it has a second anode rod, is that true? Are all the seals, and quality of tank really the same? Seems like it could be?

I bought this condo in 05 and have a 6 year AO smith water heater and it's going strong.

I am in HVAC, and I have an aqua therm heat pump system, the 50 gallon water heater is undersized for what I need to do, so that means it works harder then need be, and it still runs strong and has been trouble free, so AO smith has earned my respect..

In HVAC work the most important thing is installation. A great installer is priceless, but no one brand is better than the the others, especially if it's installed wrong. The second thing that is important to a HVAC company is who is going to give me preferred pricing, which leads to brand preference.

Just wonder if this is the same.

YNY,
Ao smith and State are same company. Standard grad for State is the Select Series. The premier series that has 10 year warranty gives thicker insulation, better "blue diamond" glass lining, better dip tube that cleans tank, magnesium anode rod instead of aluminum, and sand hog elements. So it is better in many ways....however they do sell an extension kit for their normal water heaters that give you 10 year warranty... it just includes the better anode rod. So, it is what it is. These days it seems that for paying a few extra dollars they will basically just give you a better warranty. Personally, I always go tankless if the customer can afford it and they have natural gas. Down here in raleigh, propane is so expensive electric water heaters are cheaper to run than propane tankless.

YNY,
Ao smith and State are same company. Standard grad for State is the Select Series. The premier series that has 10 year warranty gives thicker insulation, better "blue diamond" glass lining, better dip tube that cleans tank, magnesium anode rod instead of aluminum, and sand hog elements. So it is better in many ways....however they do sell an extension kit for their normal water heaters that give you 10 year warranty... it just includes the better anode rod. So, it is what it is. These days it seems that for paying a few extra dollars they will basically just give you a better warranty. Personally, I always go tankless if the customer can afford it and they have natural gas. Down here in raleigh, propane is so expensive electric water heaters are cheaper to run than propane tankless.

Sadly tankless will not work with my HVAC system. I have a aquatherm which pulls hot water from the water heater and then returns the extra water to the tank.:(

Latest posts

Back