Kitchen faucet install help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perspect

Reaction score
I'm trying to install a new kitchen faucet. There are 4 shut off valves under the sink, I guess 2 for the faucet & 2 for the dishwasher. Turning all 4 to the right does not shut off the water. When I turn off what appears to be the main valve outside I still get water from all facets in the house and I can hear water flow from inside the house where the outside valve is. Does the water heater need to drain completely before all the water stops flowing? Thought this would be a relatively straight forward job. HELP! Thanks.

Seems you need to replace some valves. Can you shut off the main valve at the street?

Seems right now that kitchen faucet is the least of your concerns. What will happen if you break a water line and need to shut off the water?

No, you should not have to drain the water heater to stop the flow of water.

I'm trying to install a new kitchen faucet. There are 4 shut off valves under the sink, I guess 2 for the faucet & 2 for the dishwasher. Turning all 4 to the right does not shut off the water. When I turn off what appears to be the main valve outside I still get water from all facets in the house and I can hear water flow from inside the house where the outside valve is.

It is inconvenient but not catastrophic that the little valves have failed. However, not being able to shut off the main water supply is an intolerable situation. Get that fixed soon or you will not be able to stop the flood which results from any sort of broken pipe or hose in your house.

Hopefully the "main valve" you refer to is the one proximal to the city's shut off, and not that shut off itself. Do you have a key to turn the city shutoff valve? Most water companies really don't want anybody but their employees turning those valves, but in your current situation it might be wise to have one on hand as a last resort. Hopefully you never have to use it. Worst case you break the pipe at the curb. Normally that would be an epic disaster, but maybe less of a disaster than water running freely inside your house.

Thanks for the tips! I purchased the tool to shut off the main valve at the meter near the street. That allowed me install the new faucet. Now that I have the tool, I'll see what's needed to fix the valve issues and be able to shut off the water and make the repairs. I'm sure I'll be back for more help then.
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back