adding basement sink near the dwv stack

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ew1439

Reaction score
I was looking at putting a laundry tub-style sink in the basement of our house near (within a couple of feet) the DWV stack. My question is: Can I cut out the wye that has the clean out and replace it with another wye of the same configuration with the addition of a left inlet? The inlet being for the sink drain. Thanks for any input, Ethan

The easiest would be an AAV but with a little more work, I could tie into the vent for the bathroom that is located directly above. Any thoughts/concerns on using an AAV?

Check with you local code requirements .
Seems from previous discussion that AAV are accepted in some areas.

I am very selective as to where I will use an AAV. At the base of a main stack is not one of those places.You will almost certainly have both negative and positive pressures occur, and an AAV can only relieve negative pressure. Even if your local code will allow an AAV, I would install a conventional vent.

After looking into the Minnesota plumbing codes, an AAV is not allowed. If I'm interpreting the plumbing code correctly, it may not allow tying a downstairs sink/vent into a upstairs fixture/vent. A licensed plumber came over and said he could do what I have planned and would be able tie into the upstairs vent....the vent now would go up to the ceiling (9 ft tall), across the trusses (10 ft), through the floor and into the upstairs wall where the shower is located. My question now is how effective would the vent be with 3-4 turns in it. I'd hate to pay $700 and not have the job pass inspection.

The turns on the vent shouldn't be a problem as long as the horizontal section is graded down toward the fixture so it cannot trap moisture.
Also the connection to the vent is above the flood rim of all fixture on the second floor.

Latest posts

Back