Corner shower kits

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLS33

Übermensch
Reaction score
I'm looking for a corner shower kit to replace the old nasty tub in the house I'm buying.

Something like this:
showerunit.jpg

To replace this:
dsc0197rv.jpg

Anything specific to look out for when buying one of these kits? I want to keep under $500 if at all possible. That picture is of a kit lows has for $499.

You may have to build a false raised base to route the new drain to the locatin of the old, depends how far back you want to be cutting into the floor and the direction of joist may be an issue!

I replaced a bathtub with a neo-angle shower kit in my kid's bathroom. It makes the room look big but my adult kids complain about not having enough room to turn around, so make sure it's big enough for your needs. If you are on a slab foundation, you might have to do some concrete jacking but if on a raised foundation, it should be a pretty easy install unless as 'Cause said, a floor joist could add some complications, but easily rectified.

Make absolutely sure of 2 things:

The base is precisely level in all directions with a mortar base to support

and

Those two intersecting walls are square and level, top to bottom.

Because if they aren't, on either of the above, that installation will be 5 times harder as the unit will rack itself and compromise the way the door opens.

I've seen it happen too often and there is little or no wiggle room on those situations involving those units.

I've decided, for simplicites sake, to just replace the tub. The corner with the vanity there just doesn't have the space.

I finally closed on the place and have been painting for the past few days straight and should hopefully be doing the bathroom next week.

You may have to build a false raised base to route the new drain to the locatin of the old, depends how far back you want to be cutting into the floor and the direction of joist may be an issue!

Many kits have a drain placement that could be within an inch or 3 of the existing drain. Definitely check out the rough in measurements before you open the box.

Back