Trouble Removing Faucet Stem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertM24

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an issue where the cold handle on my sink is leaking while the water is on. It has been this way since I moved into my house 2 years ago, but I ignored it because it is fine when it's off.

I am finally getting around to tackling the by attempting to replace the stem, but I am having trouble actually removing it. I have attached a picture of what I am working with. I assume the next step is to twist the nut that is near the top but I absolutely cannot get it to budge. No matter what I use to try to hold the rest of the unit stationary, the whole thing twists - rather than just the nut. Based on my experience taking off the pieces so far, it almost seems like whoever put this together might have used some sort of glue on it?

Any advice? Hopefully I am just not trying to twist in the right place. Otherwise I am out of ideas, it is hard for me to imagine finding a way to get more torque on the stem while stabilizing the lower part

Thanks in advance for your help

Resized_20170701_214905.jpg

Try using some PBblster and let it sit for a day. I'm sure it is just "welded" together with calcium.

Reactions: SHR
You'll probably need to use a pliers or basin wrench under the sink to hold it steady. And you may just need to replace an oring on the stem.

Latest posts

Back