Toilet in the basement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
I have a toilet in my basement that is very slow and weak when flushing. I did not install it but taking a look it appears that because it is so low gravity does not help much with the flushing aspect. Short of raising the toilet is there any way to help make it flush more effectively? Am I right in my assumption that gravity and being almost level with the water drainage pipe is a likely cause of the weak flushing?

Gravity does help, but that is designed into the water closet itself. What year toilet? Is the toilet going into an actual drain or a cleanout or floor drain? I would get a toto or a newer american standard cadet toilet. Should work fine. Your older water closet if it is pre 1950's should flush fine. If not the pull it and check for obstruction first.

I think the basement bathroom was installed by the previous homeowner probably 1990 or so. He was not a plumber and I don't think he followed code on things.

I think the problem is the toilet, not the drain line. Make sure the water level in the tank is about 1/2" below the overflow tube. flush and see if the flapper stays up until most of the water is out of the tank. With a mirror, check the holes under the bowl rim to see if they are running free or clogged. If the water in the bowl does not rise when flushed, this tells me the drain is running fine, but the toilet is not producing enough water to give a full flush.

Latest posts

Back