Sewer Manhole

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
Here is a couple of pictures of how a sewer manhole is put together for those of you who have not seen it done. Normally it is done in a trench but the soil here was very unstable so we had to do what is called a V-ditch so that it could not cave in on us.

100_0022.jpg

100_0021.jpg

100_0020.jpg

100_0448.jpg

After this we toss on the ring and cover and bury it, alot simpler than people would think.

Do you hand form the base, or do you have some sort of template for that concrete pour???

Didn't know it was that simple.

Do you hand form the base, or do you have some sort of template for that concrete pour???

Didn't know it was that simple.

We have a steel ring that makes the outer circle and everything else is done by hand. We have trowels that are the channel size and from there just normal concrete tools and some manual labor, it is pretty simple. The tough part is when you are in a 20 foot deep trench trying to do this with shoring all around you and the trench is only a foot or two wider than the manhole.

Yeah we have to have the bases inspected before we can stack the shafting.

Yeah, its all nice and neat and clean NOW... I had to inspect all 109 manholes in a 20 year old subdivision a few years ago due to excessive stormwater at the treatment facility.

It is actually pretty cool to see how they are installed, since I've already seen the inside of a "working model"...

Well I feel stupid but what does that do?

That is what is under those 24"-36" round steel lids in the road. Mainly an inspection/access point to the sewer system. In my are they are required at evey bend or 300'.

Well blame the Ninja Turtles but I assumed there was a large livable space under those things.

Here is another pic of that same trench to get an idea of just how big an area it took.

100_0445.jpg

100_0443.jpg

See now that reaffirms my belief that I could live under the streets fighting crime.

See now that reaffirms my belief that I could live under the streets fighting crime.

Just by your smell alone they would run from you.

This is how tight it gets when you don't have room for a V-ditch.

100_0451.jpg

Well I have another stupid question. Is that pipping to bring in fresh water? I've always taken for granted that it works and never took the time to learn about it. I'm hopping to get schooled here.

Well I have another stupid question. Is that pipping to bring in fresh water? I've always taken for granted that it works and never took the time to learn about it. I'm hopping to get schooled here.

The grey piping you see crossing that trench is dry utilities (Telephone, Power, Fiber optic, Cable) and the yellow pipe is a gas main.

Although I did see one small pipe broken, it appears the back hoe operator is pretty skilled to manuever around all the obstacles!

Latest posts

Back