Utility Sink Drain Pipe Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shobuddy

Reaction score
I've attached several photos to show where an old utility sink was removed and a new one was put in, however, the drain pipe on the new one leaks badly. In the pictures, where I've detached it is where it leaks. I'm a novice w/this stuff and just wondering what the fix is. It has a gasket as well but am I missing any parts? I've also attached pictures of the overall drain pipe setup.

IMG_20170409_173214.jpg

IMG_20170409_173247.jpg

IMG_20170409_173253.jpg

IMG_20170409_180210.jpg

IMG_20170409_180216.jpg

That....that right there....is some ugly plumbing. The trap is simply not meant to be configured that way. It's as crooked as anything, the pipe leaving the trap is meant to be horizontal, not vertical. You must learn to cut and measure some pipes. The fixture outlet pipe leaving the sink needs to be drastically shortned. Look under any other sink in your house for reference, I will bet the trap doesn't look like that!

Reactions: SHR
I bet if you cut both horizontal pipes about 5" each, then rotate that p trap to the right by about 20 degrees, it will look better, align better, and quit dripping on you.

Wow. Just wow. Frodo you are amazing explaining it.

Thank you for the great responses. I'll pipe coming out of the wall is metal so I might have to get a plumber to come do this. Alternatively, I could cut the plastic pipe that attaches to it shorter, right? This is at my parent's house so I'll try to see what I can do based on the advice. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back