rocking toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting back to the question, it depends on what you want the joint to look like. A bad grout job will look worse than a silicone seal. No matter what you use, it is for appearance only.

Getting back to the question, it depends on what you want the joint to look like. A bad grout job will look worse than a silicone seal. No matter what you use, it is for appearance only.

I respectfully disagree. I feel that a good grout job is an important part of a toilet installation.

I think that shimming a toilet, if it has any rock at all, is crucial, to prevent the toilet from rocking and destroying the wax seal, or even breaking the flange. Then grout the toilet, taking care to push the grout under the lip of the toilet. The grout locks the shims in place so that they can't move, and locks the toilet in place so that it can't twist and wiggle the shims out.

If every plumber were to do this, I believe that there would be a lot less wax ring failures, and broken flanges.

Latest posts

Back