mold removal from leather

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have my leather couches in storage. There was a leak in there and now they have mold on them. Can they be saved. They've had mold since April of 2009. We are moving into an apt soon and I do not know if this is a health hazard if we cleaned them. Can they be cleaned and with what? Will the mold grow back?:rolleyes:
couach-mold.jpg

A leak? That pic looks like the whole place was flooded....:eek:

The only thing i know for mold (and wear a mask, you don't want to breathe that stuff) is hot water and bleach. But that might do bad things to the leather...

Your call, but i would find a new couch if its that bad...

Last edited:
I don't know what it might do to leather, but any of the sanitizers used in homebrewing would probably kill off the mold. I use something called StarSan that is a no-rinse sanitizer. I would say that you wouldn't be at much risk of leftover chemical exposure.

I say start over. Even if you could clean it and restore it the cost would be rough. Did you carry insurance on the storage unit, or at least contact the property management to make a claim on their insurance?

:eek::eek:Just spray a little bleach on it and cover it with a sheet.

You can probably get a better one on craigslist for free.

Thanks. I really appreciate all of your concern. I am thinking of calling a company to clean it. What do you think?

I think the cost qould out weigh the value, but your call entirely.

I'm interested in seeing it restored to if that's what you're going to do.

I realize this is an old post, but in case anyone comes across this and has the same issue, just wanted to add my two cents.

Since this is a leather couch, you don't want to use bleach for obvious reasons. A much better option would be to use distilled white vinegar. Don't dilute it with water. Apply it to all the affected areas and leave it for a few hours. Come back to the couch and wipe it all down with paper towels. This should kill and remove all the mold, as well as possibly help with the mildew smell.

There are some good articles on content decontamination on our company website. We mostly talk about mold removal http://www.thecleanupdoctors.com

Most contents can actually be decontaminated, but the smell can remain for a long time. Very hard to get rid off in most cases, especially if the surface is really porous.

Craig

Latest posts

Back