Standing Water in My Dishwasher?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeeperCreeper

Reaction score
Ran the dishes last night before I went to bed. Woke up with an inch of standing water in the machine. I've run my hand over the grate towards the back trying to clear it of obstructions and it had some food particles but nothing to explain the amount of water. I'm thinking maybe it's a pipe issue?

It's most likely an appliance failure.
The discharge pump or a relay switch in the dishwasher failed.
Don't call a plumber. He will most likely tell you to call an Appliance repairman

look at the discharge hose and see if it has dropped down from the original installation placement. Dishwasher discharge hoses should be run up as high as possible before connecting to the drain. If not, gunk from the sink can travel into the hose and block it.

I had that happen once. Turned out to be a chunk of foreign material (don't remember what it was exactly) that made its way into the pump impeller and stopped the pump from running while the machine was draining. Pulled the offending piece out of the pump housing and all was well again.

Does your dishwasher drain to the sink thru a tailpiece/sink drain or a separate drain line? Does running water in your sink raise the level in the dishwasher over time? If so the Kitchen sink line is backed up. If not dishwasher failure. Does the dishwasher pump kick on?

Latest posts

Back