Vent and p-trap needed?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafjr64

Reaction score
I posted this in another area. I think it should have been posted here. Sorry for the double posting.

I am in the process of running 2" drain 20' in length from my laundry room to a dry well (soak pit made of fabric, gravel). The drain will receive ONLY softener waste, heat pump water heater condensate and water heater pressure relief with the lines simply strapped to the wall and funneled into the drain. Lack of funds and accessibility to the existing drain system is prohibitive. Questions:

Do I need to install a vent or tie into an existing one with this set-up? ..or can i live without it. Obviously it drains fine right now but I don't have the terminated end of the drain buried in gravel yet. I am wondering if that would change once I fill the dry well with gravel and cover with dirt.

Do I need a p-trap?
If the only purpose is to prevent sewer gas, I don't believe I will have any due to the type of water and the frequency of drainage. Is this correct?

Only other benefit I can see is to keep pests from crawling up the drain pipe and into the building. If I am correct in my thinking that I don't need a p-trap, is there an alternative way to keep insects from crawling up through the pipe?

Softener regens 1x per 7 days - fleck sxt7000 with S60 resin
Water heater trickles five gallons 1x every three weeks

It's pretty easy to add a trap to your drain which I really would do for smell even if you don't think u will get any you still will. And it's the best way to keep stuff from coming up and since it is not hard to do why not? As far as venting if it is difficult to tie into another vent just add an air admittance valve which will do the trick. depending on which code your state uses determines if that's up to code, but I'm guessing your not worried about that since your dumping your washer into a dry well anyway. I attached what it would look like your horizontal run to your well will come up in a 90 the add a sanitary tee come out of top and add AAV and out of side you p-trial and dump washer there

View attachment ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1467568978.753472.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1467568992.052678.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1467569007.715555.jpg

Latest posts

Back