Toilet Backing Up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlumbingNightmare

Reaction score
Thought I would ask this on behalf of my mom and dad.

They have an older home...l 80 years old or so, but they've repaired it for ages and it's in good condition.
However, they recently installed an ADA toilet in their main bathroom.
When they flush the toilet, the tub gurgles, and sometimes, the contents of the toilet show up in it (obviously, they do not have the toilet in service now).
What is making it do that? They'd had some floor repairs and thought that maybe it wasn't exactly level...but that's since been ruled out...so what else could be going on?

Sounds to me like either a clogged sewer line, or the venting above the toilet is clogged. If the pipes are that old, I would recommend having a professional take a look at it.

no,it has nothing to do with the floor being level. your sewer is clogged or at least partially clogged. call your local plumbing supply house and ask for the number of a good plumber. you need to have your pipe snaked out.

no,it has nothing to do with the floor being level. your sewer is clogged or at least partially clogged. call your local plumbing supply house and ask for the number of a good plumber. you need to have your pipe snaked out.

well, i have what i'm concerned is a micro-disaster. the bamboo roots have gone five feet deep to reach my sub-basement floor pipes that are thirty years old, but the main waste pipe right nearby is presumably 85 y.o. or at least 50.

near the main waste pipe drain (that itself appears to be the main vent tube to roof) the soil is wet with the tiny roots around there, and slight sewer-ish smell.

was tipped off by earthy smell from shower and then sewage coming up the shower when upstairs toilet was flushed. However, now basement shower goes down , but basement toilet does not flush normally and plunging moves water into the shower drain pipe.

So, my question is can the underfloor apparently plstic pipes be relined with the same trenchless method used for the main line, which itself may the leaker and need to be relined or replaced? OR, should floor be dug up and replaced?
But if replaced, i dn' tsee how to prevent future bamboo root intrusion, given bamboo is extremely difficult to remove.

Seattle wa.

Latest posts

Back