Rusted out Flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conway

Reaction score
I recently noticed that the toilet in our upstairs bathroom was a bit wobbly and we were getting water around the base. I thought that there may have been an issue with the wax seal, so I started to pull the toilet up to replace the seal. Problems started as soon as I tried to remove the bolts from the base. One bolt pulled right up as I popped the plastic cap off. After pulling the toilet, I discovered that I indeed have a leak from somewhere. The Flange was rusted away to almost nothing(crumbled to the touch in places), and I had water damage radiating out from the drain. Water goes about half way through the plywood, but no sign of anything leaking into the ceiling of room below bathroom. Also, no odor associated with the water damage, so not really sure if it is from a bad wax seal or not. I am going to be replacing the subfloor and plan on installing tile in place of our old vinyl.
My question is about the old flange, and what I need to do to replace it. The flange, or what is left of it, is attached to the pvc drain. Is there a way to remove only the piece of pvc that the flange was connected to from the lower portion of the drain? If not, I think I would have to cut the pipe and use some type of connector, I would only have access to the pvc for about 12 to 14 inches before it travels under a wall. Not sure if this would be enough room to do that. Any suggestions would be welcome. I wish the previous owners had finished renovating the upstairs bathroom but I'm thinking maybe this is why they didn't.

Yep you got it.

12 to 14" should be plenty.

Get a Coupling, a 90, and a new flange.

Saw off the pipe after the 90 and re-plumb it.

13" is standard from finish wall to the center of the flange.

Yep you got it.

12 to 14" should be plenty.

Get a Coupling, a 90, and a new flange.

Saw off the pipe after the 90 and re-plumb it.

13" is standard from finish wall to the center of the flange.

Also-- cut out the bad floor area and replace it, it really isn't as bad as it sounds, but you do want stable solid mounting area to re-install. I'm also a BIG fan of double wax rings!

edit; sorry, just picked up on the sub-floor replacement.

Last edited:
I was about to start a thread almost EXACTLY like this one! I am having the same problem in my upstairs b'room... wobbly commode, and water on the floor around it... :(

I think I'll pull it up tonite and see what I find.

Latest posts

Back