Pump issues.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Septicissue

Reaction score
I know nothing about well pumps but here goes.If I use a lot of water (like washing the car) my pump stays on but pressure only builds to around 20psi without shutting off or reaching 30psi.I am still getting water just at low pressure.If I turn power off to the pump and let it stay off a couple minuettes and then turn the power to the pump back on then the tank fills and shuts off at 30psi which is where it set to shut off.I can also hear burps of air going into the tank when I turn it back on.
A neighbor and I awhile back replaced the cut of switch (guess that's what its called and I just replaced the pressure gauge.
My pump is a below ground pump.I have read of priming the pump but do not know how.I have read of check valve but not sure what that is either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Also and not sure it means anything but when I take a shower there is air coming from the hot water .This all started during the summer when I was away and water hose running and it ran for about 12 hours.Thanks for any and all help.

If you mean below ground as in submersible pump, it could be that it ran without pumping water and nuked a few impellers. That would explain the lower pressure. It could also be a hole in the pipe the pump hangs from in the well. Instead of putting all the water into your storage tank, some of it is being recirculated.

Do you know if you have a check valve in the incoming pipe from the pump before it gets to the tank?

It looks like this:

check_valve.jpg

It sounds to me like there is a hole in the drop pipe. (The pipe the pump is hung on.) This would explain taking longer to build pressure and the excess amount of air.
Does it seem to take longer to build up to the cut off pressure than it used to?( under normal use)

Travis

if there is no check valve at the tank then a leak in the drop pipe, or the pitless adapter or anywhere from the check valve on the pum to the tank, would make the pump cycle on and off when no faucets are open. If there is a check valve at the tank then it could be a leak in any of the a fore mentioned pipes.

I guess he's/she's not going to tell us if he/she has a check valve or not!

Latest posts

Back