Need guidance fixing broken cast iron pipe in crawl space

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkapasi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently discovered our kitchen drain is delivering our sink and dishwater water right into our crawl space (photo 1-3). The cast iron pipe that has corroded and broken off is also detached 14 feet later at the connection with the drain pipe (photo 3).

I've handled basic plumbing before in the kitchen and bathrooms, but this is a new and more intimidating endeavor. Right now I'm thinking I could cut square the cast iron kitchen pipe in photo #1 with a recip saw and connect it to a 2" Sch40 pvc pipe using shielded no-hub coupling. Then I can connect the other end of the new pvc pipe to the main pvc pipe drain using a standard 2" PVC coupling. I'd like to hear what y'all would do given that I imagine every one of you has ten times my experience. Thanks!

-MK

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

3001-150-1.jpg

proflex 2'' cast iron x 2'' plastic transition coupling

and plumbers strap every 4'

Sounds about right except the recip saw part (unless you know to use a diamond blade) otherwise itll take a long time and a lot of blades. Personally i use a zip disc but depends on how good you are with a grinder and its a tight spot.

Sounds about right except the recip saw part (unless you know to use a diamond blade) otherwise itll take a long time and a lot of blades. Personally i use a zip disc but depends on how good you are with a grinder and its a tight spot.

Thanks for the advice. Some more research led me to learn about ratchet snap cutters, which I can rent locally. Any reason not to go with a snap cutter?

Depends how much space you have . Doesn't look like snap cutters will be comfortable to use down there . I would use a grinder but if you insist go with ratchet cutters, if it's you're first time using them read the instructions Manuel several times . Beacuse you don't have much room for error since you are very close to that combo fitting.. And it actually doesn't matter how good you are at using ratchet or snap cutters,if the pipe is old it will crack 6 inches to the side of the combo.

Depends how much space you have . Doesn't look like snap cutters will be comfortable to use down there . I would use a grinder but if you insist go with ratchet cutters, if it's you're first time using them read the instructions Manuel several times . Beacuse you don't have much room for error since you are very close to that combo fitting.. And it actually doesn't matter how good you are at using ratchet or snap cutters,if the pipe is old it will crack 6 inches to the side of the combo.

Good point about the potential for cracking the pipe. I'll go with the grinder. I don't have experience with a grinder so feel free to send some tips my way.

And take you're time let the the grinder do the work . You will need a metal blade ant cut the edge of pipe in t sections till its square

Those cast iron blades for sawsall work awesome. I got 2 3" cuts on underground with 1 blade.

What blade are you talking about. The extreme metal or diamond . Last I remember diamond blade toke about 15 min with full constant force for one cut in 3 inch

What blade are you talking about. The extreme metal or diamond . Last I remember diamond blade toke about 15 min with full constant force for one cut in 3 inch

Agreed. And thats with a corded sawsall. Best i ever got was 2 2" cuts with one blade. I'd pick grinder any day but depends on your comfort level. I use a grinder most days at work so its nothing for me.

Its a metal blade and if i remember correct it says for cast. I never had any luck with the diamond blades like you said, but that new one i tried was impressive. Homeowners and grinders with a cut off wheel are recipe for bad things. Plus you will have black snots all day.:)

On another plumbing forum many folks recommend taking out the cast iron Y and replacing all the cast iron with PVC. What do y'all think?

Agreed. Id get rid of as much of the cast as possible because otherwise you'll be back down there again cutting more of that cast out.

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm good to go for now. I appreciate all y'alls help.

Latest posts

Back