Can't desolder pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zephyrprime

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am trying to desolder a copper pipe leading to my water heater because it is block my access to a floor support beam I need to adjust.

I was trying to use a simple propane torch to melt the solder and it was not doing anything! I drained all the water from the cold water pipes in the house so I don't think the issue is that. After I heat up the pipe for a few minutes the solder gets soft and I can smoosh it but it doesn't get hot enough to flow.

I've worked with solder a lot before but it's always been related to electronics, not plumbing.

I tried putting some plumbing solder on a spare copper pipe I had laying around and it went on no problem and melted pretty easily too.

What's the deal? Is my pipe using some sort of high melting point solder? Do I need a hotter torch?

Likely some residual water laying in the pipe, also you must provide a source for the pressure and steam you create to escape, or else when it does break free you are going to have a very bad day.

If you cannot blow it out with air, just cut the pipe and re connect it when you are done doing what you want to do. They make couplings every day!

I meant I use the term unsolder.. Anyways for water in the pipe I either turn up the heat on my torch or use a jet sweat

Hey everyone! I just wanted to update this for the record. You guys were right. There was just some water in the pipe. I switched to cutting the pipe instead of desoldering and a little water came out even though I had drained the pipe already. I think a torch with a bigger flame would help in this situation.

I meant I use the term unsolder.. Anyways for water in the pipe I either turn up the heat on my torch or use a jet sweat

Hey extra mile, 222683.gif We are plumbers, we, unsolder, unsweat, desweat,

heat it up, tear it out, cut the MF,

whatever it takes to get it apart, spelling and grammer dont count

as long s it dont leak pee.gif

way to go zephyprime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
If there is water in the pipe, the sun isn't hot enough to un-de or remove solder.

Back