water softener question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwood

Reaction score
I bought a 2 year old GE water softener from a family moving out of state. We loaded it in the van sideways after emptying it as best we could. On the way home there was a crash sound inside and then it started leaking more salt water. Now a plumber friend tells me it is junk because we transported it sideways. Is that true? The water plumbing fittings also wiggle in the back rather than being rigid as I would expect them to be.

When you lay one on their side the only danger is possibly unplugging the distributor tube from the head. The salt water coming out will only hurt metal.

GE in the first place is junk, but that's another story.

Are you sure it came out of the head???

It's not something that happens a lot. If it did, you wouldn't be getting soft water.

If you had to plug it back in, you would have to remove the head to reinsert the tube.

Thanks for your replies.

I don't know anything about water softeners except that I need one. I have not plumbed this one since I thought it to be defective after the event described above. The two connection pipes in the back will wiggle freely rather than being stiff as I would think hard plastic pipes would have to be-non moveable. Is this normal, or is something broken loose inside causing the pipes to be loose?

Quite a few units have pipes that move freely since they are O-ringed and not real rigid.

Give it a try, it's free and you have nothing to lose except possibly a few gallons of water.

Okay I'm ready to install the water softener. Our hot water heater which is only 2 months old has half eaten it's sacrificial rod and the hot water stinks like sulfur so I need the softener. My question: What to do with the drain coming from the water softener? I don't want to dump the briny water into the septic system and kill all the bacteria. What kind of hole do I need to dig and how much gravel, how deep to keep the drain from freezing in Michigan? Thanks.

First of all, the softener isn't going to do anything about the smell. Secondly, it sounds like you have acidic water which may be eating your sacrificial rod and the softener again will do nothing for that either.

I have family in Kazoo.

What should I use to get rid of our minerals? We have rust (iron), sulfur, and probably calcium (?) because the old water heater had about a foot of white solid stuff in the bottom and all over the elements. I don't want our new washing machine to get damaged by poor water.

For iron I recommend an iron filter (not all softener salesmen will agree with this). A water softener is to take out the calcium and magnesium. To remove sulphur. You can chlorinate, or chlorinate and de-chlorinate with a carbon filter. Or you can aerate the water. I sell a good system, but can't get the key ingredient for it for another month or so. I prefer air, because it's free, maintenance free and requires no babysitting.

By the way, I sell all the above as do some of the guys on this and other forums. But before you start price shopping, have your water tested so you know what equipment you need.

Latest posts

Back