Garden irrigation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickb

Reaction score
I am new to plumbing diy. I am trying to develop an irrigation system for my garden. I have a well next to my garden that is not used ofr anything. It is approximately 30 feet to the water. It is approximately 70 feet deep total. This being said I have a few questions. My intentions are to utilize sprinklers to water my garden. Do I need to install a pressure tank in order to do so or can I utlize a pump only? Second, if I do need to install a pressure tank can I utilize a pump with a pressure tank built directly on to it like advertised in Harbor freight? I need a fairly light weight one as it wil have to be removed in the winter months and stored away. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Get one from Harbor Freight, it will have to be removed long before winter arrives.

With 30 foot to water, you need either a deep well jet pump with the jet in the well or a submersible pump. These things all depend on the diameter of this well.

Thanks for the reply speedbump. I checked the diameter of the well and it is a standard well casing. My particular problem is that I am at least 400 feet from the nearest electrical supply. Are there any gas powered water pumps out there that would be able to create the lift I need for this situation? Or can you think of any other possibilities?

Standard well casing is 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 inch. Which is it?

The only way a gas pump could work is to convert it into a deep well centrifugal. This wouldn't be real hard to do, although I can't think of a time it's ever been done. However it is possible. How good are you with plumbing?

The well casing measurement is 6 inch. I am capable of performing plumbing. I have some experience. If you can supply me with the direction I need in order to make this conversion it would be greatlty appreciated.

You would have to get your hands on a two pipe 4" jet. You would want one with a nozzle of 1/4" and a venturi of around 13 -to 15/32". Using 1-1/4" pipe as the suction to the larger hole on the jet from the suction port on the gas engine pump, you would use 1" for the smaller hole and plumb it into a tee on the discharge of the gas pump. There will have to be a valve past the tee that you can regulate the outgoing flow with so you can get some return water down the 1" pipe into the jet to help bring up more water from the well.

It may be a little tricky, but it will work. I can probably drop ship the jet to you if you can't find one locally.

Latest posts

Back