Sewer Pipe Replacement - liners vs pvc (aka pipe bursting)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am in the midst of replacing approx 40 feet of clay pipe under a driveway. Then there is root intrusion at the 4 to 6" lateral for another 20 feet. I want to ask which is better using the liner method or the pipe bursting procedure. It seems to depend on the plumber and they can't really give a good answer. They seem to contradict each others answers. Perhaps some dont have the right equipment or what. I just want to get an honest answer from the experts. So what are the PROs/CONs of the liner and pipe bursting methods. I want to take care of this the best way possible and put it behind me. I have been told the 4-6" lateral part would best be lined to avoid digging into the city street. I am concerned about the driveway portion. I am not a plumber. If this was your problem, other than getting it fix asap. Which method do you prefer and why ?

I would really appreciate your honest opinions.

Thank you

Robert

I don't have any experience with this type of work, unfortunately, but I am interested to learn more about it from some of our other members.

I have not heard the term "Pipe bursting" when referring to drain repair. I prefer using PVC for underground drain lines sine the smooth texture seems to make roots divert their path instead of growing into the pipe. In some cicumstances, lining is the most cost effective method. You may be able to get better info for your area through the Building Inspection office since they deal with this type problem on a regular basis.

`Pipe Bursting` is where a `metal mole` with a `continuous` polythene pipe attatched to it - is pulled with a chain - THROUGH the EXISTING DRAINAGE PIPE - `BURSTING` it apart and pulling in the new [Poly.] Drainage pipe THROUGH the existing pipe route, it is necessary to be able to run a cord /rod through the existing Drain run to facilitate this method.
The `Mole` is pulled with an extremely powerful winch using a wire rope [bond] and a section of chain - pulled through the existing Drain run using a rod or cord - to attatch to the winch.
The new Drainage section is usually in one piece - but can be jointed - usually by `Electrofusion`- or similar process - although connecting `branches` can be done using other types of fittings.
The resulting new Drain run is then EXTREMELY STRONG - the new pipe WOULD BE capable of `holding` high pressures - although THAT is not going to happen in `Drainage` - the `Strength` of the new pipe is `reassuring`.
As I am based in the U.K. - England - I cannot comment on the `Availability` or Cost Comparisons of this technology in the U.S. - BUT it is a very useful method when not wanting or not being able to disturb the Ground above the existing Drainage.

Last edited:
Pipe bursting is not for pipe 'repair', it is more for pipe 'replacement'. If you go to youtube and type that in the search you will see a lot of videos of it as well as "trenchless sewer liner".

That is funny "check with the local inspector". I hope I do not offend anyone that is on this board. I apologize now for it. I called them and he knew less than I did about the process. It is funny because this is the guy that is supposed to sign off on the work. Sucks for me :-(

No offense taken. Since most companies are required to be licensed, I would think that the inspection department would have a handle on the process. Guess it isn't always true.

I really push you guys to visit this page, just in case you didn't find it already.

Pipe Bursting, a fast Pipe Replacement System from No Dig Equipment

Pipe Bursting and Pipe relining ARE both a pipe repairing technology, the difference is that the pipe relining will decrease slightly the capacity of the hosted pipe. You can't really feel it on big pipes but it is significant for the small pipes, usually the house connections.

The page i gave you will show you 2 different machines for 2 different applications. One is a Pulling Chain Lateral Pipe Burster, ideal for the confined space and small pipe like the house connections, the other is a Hydraulic Rod Winch Pipe Bursting, ideal for main lines and bigger pipes.

Hope this info reinforce your knowledge.

Thanks for the Info. Heard about but never seen it. One thing though you still have to dig up and expose both ends of the pipe for the burst method

I don't know anything about these terms however I feel for you.. I had roots in my sewer a little less then a year ago and wound up digging up my yard and replacing about 20 feet of pipe. The grass is still growing back in.

Latest posts

Back