Has anyone ever seen a plumbing setup like this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom5170

Reaction score
My mom's house was built in 1940. It still has galvanized pipes.

Anyways I got a plumber to come out to look for the main shut off in the basement because I never spotted one. I was looking for a gate valve or a ball valve and nothing. So when the plumber came out, he showed me a shutoff on the water meter, and this shutoff looks exactly like a curb stop valve. There isn't a shut off that runs off the water meter either, just one right before the meter. He also told me that the city was responsible for this valve and they would replace it for free if it was leaking or any problems with it, and to just call the city if that happens. He also said if I need to use the valve if pipes were leaking to just take an adjustable wrench and turn it clockwise quarter of a turn. He said he's been plumbing for 17 years. He also quoted 3 grand to rip out and replace all the supply lines. He said he wouldn't touch the plumbing because it's too old and he didnt think he would perform a good service if things went wrong.

There's also a curb stop valve to the house at the sidewalk. Is this common to have one inside the basement wall as well? Any one ever hear of this before? I live in Michigan.

I would say it's common. even here in So.Calif.
Generally there is a valve after the meter as well but not always.

City here doesn't like non city techs turning off their valve. You break it they'll send you a bill for having to fix it. Turn them off all the time BUT if they are questionable, Call!!! Make them come out and turn it. Cover yourself and call them. See how they roll.

is it common to see the valves on the water meter look like a curb stop? I live in Michigan so the water meter is in the basement lol. just thought it was weird seeing this and comparing to all the shutoffs I've seen online was they all seem to have a gate or bAll valve. but the one my mom has actually can use those keys or a wrench to turn it...

I miss understood. Your meter is in the basement. Not common here because basements are not common here.

Latest posts

Back