Toilet suggestions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partsman41953

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in need of replacing the toilet in our downstairs half bath. It is very old and clogs constantly. I have been doing some research online and see advantages and disadvantages for Kohler, Toto and American Standard. At this point I am not sure which one of these to get. I have a budget of around #225 for a new toilet.

Please let me know which one I should go with.

Thanks.

Cannot go wrong with Kohler or Toto. American Standards products I fimd have went way downhill since they sold out to Crane.

If I could throw another hat in the ring, I would suggest the Gerber, Avalanche model if you have a Gerber dealer in your area.

Last edited:
Cannot go wrong with Kohler or Toto. American Standards products I fimd have went way downhill since they sold out to Crane.

If I could throw another hat in the ring, I would suggest the Gerber, Avalanche model if you have a Gerber dealer in your area.

never had the pleasure of sitting on one. i will keep my eyes open

have you ever set a toilet in a kindergarten class room..? .

itty bitty little toilets !! cute as hell!!!!
the sink/drinking fountain combinations are a pita. cant get under the little cabinets. :rolleyes:

Any particular model Kohler you recommend. I was looking at the 3987 model which had some decent reviews.

That looks like a round front toilet. If you have the room, you might consider an elongated toilet for a better "fit."

Also, I have one of those dual flush toilets, and as long as you are aware of how it works, it's great. For #1 flushing, just hold down on the handle momentarily. For #2 flushing, you need to be aware that you hold down the handle for a few seconds, and you'll get an optimum flush. Problem is, when visitors are here, they don't realize the toilet is a dual flush, and unaware of how it works.

Too bad your budget isn't higher. Toto Drake is a nice toilet with a powerful flush and it won't splash up on you. It's a dual flush though, so you have to hold the lever down longer for certain flushes.

I would definitely go with an elongated though. I've heard Gerber Ultra Flush #21-312 had decent reviews. I'm not sure on the price though.

I have narrowed down my choices to either the Toto Drake (model #CST744E#1) which I found online for $220.65 or the American Standard Cadet 3 (model #715AA) which I found for $239. Please let me know what you think of these models whether they are good or bad choice.

Thanks.

I love the Toto Drake. It can flush like 900 grams. Mine doesn't splash up when it flushes. (I've been splashed by American Standard toilets before and its annoying). It has a 3-inch drain in the tank and has dual flush. If you ever need to replace the flush valve assembly or the stopper, just remember to get the 3". I've had mine for 7 years. The flapper lasted 6 years and I had to clean the flush valve assembly last year because I have a lot of sediment in my water (I'm on a well system).
The only bad thing I can say is the lever broke after 6 years of abuse. The sides of the tank are at an angle so the replacement lever needs to be either a specific one from Toto or one that can have the angle adjusted.

I would go with the Drake.

Last edited:
I'd go with Kohler for the easily replaceable parts and their warranty/customer service department, but as they say, "it's your arse, not mine!"

One caution about ordering online though, when it is delivered, make sure that it doesn't have any cracks or damage when it arrives.

I bought mine from a store about an hour away from where I live so I had to pay more for it, but nothing was broken or cracked.

Latest posts

Back