How to stop a Drain Leak in the ceiling?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slavav50

Reaction score
A leak is coming through the ceiling from the second floor, tenant took a shower upstairs , the pipes are Z shaped.
I was wondering ,if there is a Mix or a Fluid that I can pour into the drain pipe to fix the hole in the pipe ? or do I have to break down the Sheetrock and locate the hole ? :confused:
Do I need to create a brand new drain line ? I am grateful in advance for any ideas or advice on this issue.

Ding - Ding - Ding !
I'm gonna chime in on that.
CUT 'R Open.

But Then again, most common tub leaks are the the overflow gasket.
Are you sure it's the drain and not from the valve, or tub spout, or shower arm. But if you are sure it's the drain, CUT 'R OPEN

Pour a bucket or 2 of water into drain. Does it leak?

Last edited:
OP,
You have to cut it open. If you cut carefully with a drywall or equivalent saw and the rock is just stained and not frangible, you can reuse the piece to close up. That will save you a lot of time if you do it yourself or a lot of money if you hire the repair out.

When a pipe springs a leak, the situation can get out of control fast. You don't want spraying water to wreak havoc and lead to huge repair bills.Turn off the water at the main valve.

Until you open up the ceiling, you will not know the exact cause of the leak. There is no product to "pour" into the drain piping to seal a hole.

A leak is coming through the ceiling from the second floor, tenant took a shower upstairs , the pipes are Z shaped.
I was wondering ,if there is a Mix or a Fluid that I can pour into the drain pipe to fix the hole in the pipe ? or do I have to break down the Sheetrock and locate the hole ? :confused:
Do I need to create a brand new drain line ? I am grateful in advance for any ideas or advice on this issue.

The bottom had a pan and poured cement base. No leak in 20 years I lived
there. This house has multi-head shower upstairs. It also has fiberglass
pan and poured cement base. Even I can jump up and down in the shower.
No sign of any leak in more than 10 years. All custom built houses per
my spec. If floor flexes, leak will spring.

--------------------
Home Renovation Brisbane- Brisbane Bathroom Renovation

The bottom had a pan and poured cement base. No leak in 20 years I lived
there. This house has multi-head shower upstairs. It also has fiberglass
pan and poured cement base. Even I can jump up and down in the shower.
No sign of any leak in more than 10 years. All custom built houses per
my spec. If floor flexes, leak will spring.

:confused: What are you talking about?

Latest posts

Back