Moen Shower faucet leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbob1974

Reaction score
Its a positemp using a 1225 cartridge. Was leaking out the handle originally. Cartridge stuck in very tight. When I pulled the cartridge with the cartridge puller the cartridge snapped in half with the brss stem and the puller coming out but half the cartridge still inside. Eventually got it out but when the new cartridge was installed it now drips when off. When I pulled it and examined the valve body it looks like there is a small scratch in the inside of the body. Could this be causing the drip? Anything to be done besides replacing the whole valve body?

If the scratch passes through the area where the rubber seals against the outer brass body, than yes, it can cause it to drip or leak through to the outlet of the valve. I personally would replace it at this point.

Any other options? Its in the wall and to replace the body will be difficult. The flow is a steady stream just past a drip drip drip consistency and it seems variable as I reseat the cartridge. But never to the point that it stops entirely.

Take it out and make sure everything is properly lubricated and installed again. Maybe something didn't seat right. It's possible a piece off the old cartridge is still lodged in there. But if it's determined that scratch is the culprit, then there's not much else you can do but replace it.

Latest posts

Back