Bad smell

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcantrell

Reaction score
Hi! to Everyone, I have a foul odor coming from my master bath tub drain. It's not there everyday,but when it is there it is awful. I can smell it really bad if it's windy outside.I can also smell it under my bathroom sink. The only thing that is under that cabinet is clean dry towels. Could this be in the drainage system or in the pipes of the mobile home. Should I call the park people or the people I bought the mobile home from? Or is there something I can do myself to fix this. I want to say it smells like sewer gas,but I don't know what sewer gas smells like. Thanks

Sounds like the p trap is leaking down or evaporating off. If the level is low enough a strong wind could push stank through by raising the air pressure in the vent. Next time you smell it, run water in the drain for a 10 seconds or so and see if it takes care of it.

I agree with Brad that the problem is in the trap(s). Besides the wind and dried out traps, the vent pipe could be plugged which can cause the traps to be sucked out. If it is safe, go onto the roof and see if leaves or anything else is clogging the vent pipe. Having warm air coming out, this is often a place birds like to nest or even squirrels. I have seen spider webs soaked with condensate that have caused the moisture to freeze and cause a blockage.

most manufactured homes have "studor" vents under the sinks and what not or at least they use to check under the lavatory sink for a black pipe that slits in the side of it and could be not working correctly. If the tub a garden tub that doesnt get used often I would run water in it on a weekly/bi-weekly basis to make sure the p-trap doesnt evaporate.

Latest posts

Back