Replacing copper compression fitting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caitiemayhugh

Reaction score
I currently have copper piping under my sink which runs to my dishwasher. I had to pull my dishwasher out the other day which moved the copper piping and caused a leak at the compression fitting. I tried tightening it, but it seemed to make it worse. It then started to leave from the dishwasher shut off valve. Did I over tighten? I have read that compression fittings only really work once and then they need to be replace.

Would it be better if I put something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B6AUGE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 under there instead?

I would imagine this would be easier to get to the dishwasher and I wouldn't have to worry about it being moved and leaking so easily again.

Can I simply remove the compression fitting and put in a flex line? I am not sure exactly how to go about that.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
you may have bent the tubing, where it goes into the fitting , or cross threaded it
compression fittings will last as for a long time, put a dab of pipe dope on the feral and try it again

if it leaks again, cut the pipe back about 3 " and replace the ferral. be cheaper than a hole flex line

Those hoses are pretty common and generally used because the cost of quality copper tubing.
BUT they can rupture and really cause a mess and sometimes they are not long enough.
The copper tubing kits they sell in the big box stores for dishwashers ( the ones I have seen ) are very thin wall tubing and kink very easy. stay away from that. I use type "L" copper tubing.

Latest posts

Back