Water Hammer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisF

Reaction score
Good day,

Been having problems with water hammer here for a while now. I did discover today after trying a number of things to remedy the problem. I turned the cold water feed to the water heater off and the banging stops.

Can someone here give me a tip on how to stop the banging when the water is turned back on?

Thanks,
Dennis

I've heard that sometimes the hammer chambers (if you have them) can become waterlogged over time. Something you can try, won't cost you a thing, is the shut of your water and open the lowest faucets to drain what water you can out, then close the faucets and turn the water back on.

If that doesn't work, you may need to install some type of expansion tank in the line.

Someone that knows more than i do will be along later to help you.
thumbs.gif

Welcome to the forum!

Your local "big box" hardware stores have small add-on water hammer arrestors that are relatively cheap. You might give it a shot. I've also heard that if you bleed your water lines to allow small pockets of air within some of your pipes, the noises may go away. Keep in mind that many confuse water hammer sounds with poorly mounted pipes, which have similar sounds during expansion and contraction.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried draining the lines, it didn't work.
Thought of the loose pipes, I don't think that's it we've been in here since house was built 20 yrs watched the construction pretty closely. One thing though this problem started shortly after we had water heater replaced.

Dennis

It's Hammer time!!!
When does the hammer occur and does is seem to be coming from the water heater or when you open or close any particular faucet. single bang or a rat-tat-tat-tat or a grumblinig noise.

not sure if I can say it comes from the water heater or not. It occurs mostly when using the garden hoses in the yard and the one in the garage.
It is a single loud bang each time the water is started and stopped by depressing the hose wand. Occasionally it happens when the washing machine is in the rinse cycle. We have lived in this house since new and never had this problem until we had the water heater replaced. I did discover if I shut the cold water valve that supplies the water heater the banging stops when using the garden hoses.

Dennis

Last edited:
Interesting. Can you post a picture of your water heater? preferrably the water supplies and valve.
Sometimes when you actually see the problem it's a AH-HA!!
If you do solve it eventually please let us know.

I'll take some shots when I get home from work later today

Dennis

Both the quick shut off of the garden hose and the washing machine leads be to believe it is water hammer. Go to your local "big box" store and purchase a set of water hammer arrestors, designed to be placed inline with your washing machine supply lines. It will set you back about $15, and installs in less than 5 minutes.

here are the photos in the bottom picture the pipe to the left of the duct work is the feed to the water heater, its taken off the 1" main with a reducer to 1/2"

I did get an arrestor and put it on the cold water feed to the washing machine. So far it has made no difference.

DennisF

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

I'm going to presume that this is the front and this is the cold water supply.
If this is not the front of the heater and that is the cold then it is hooked up backwards.
Looking at the front of the WH Cold should be on the right.

Looks like the WH has factory installed nipples.
Some heaters used to come with color coded nipples that had heat traps built into them. Pink for hot and blue for cold.
One had a floating plastic ball and the other had a stainless steel ball

That looks like a globe valve or a gate valve. Globe valve has a neoprene washer that closes onto a seat and if that is loose or not fully open it could creat noise. Replace it with a ball valve.

IMG_2673a.jpg

Last edited:
Was this a "professional" water heater replacement job? The look of the solder joints makes me question that.

Anyway, I think that Kilroy is onto the most logical line of query at this point. If the water heater is installed backwards, it can create a myriad of problems, and it is not outside the realm of possibility that water hammer is one of them.

That heater is installed backwards, Im almost positive.

Hot on left Cold on right. Always. Even on water heaters. And judging from the angle this picture is taken. Assuming it was installed with the gas valve facing the door. That thing is backwards.

The Cold is on the right I took the picture from the back because that angle showed the valve the best.

It was a professional install however, my solder joints are way better then that.

I have been told that there could be a loose washer in a hose bib somewhere that could be causing the problem, so last night I started changing some of the old ones out with a ball valve type.
I still have the banging so far but I have quite a few to change out yet.
This is a real pain I tell ya.
I do appreciate all involved here with your input.

DennisF

Just a thought, but could you be getting a vibration from the copper lines into the exhaust vent? They look awfully close from the pics.

I don't think that's it havasu. Thie picture makes them look closer then they are.

I cannot see the direction of flow however I did see the direction label on the top of the WH as to how they were to be installed. I have no clue as to weather or not they were installed correctly.

Hot water heater installer was here yesterday and indeed determined it is the heat trap nipples causing the water hammer.
He said they can be removed if I choose.
Its a relief to at least know where the problem is, its been driving me crazy for some time.

Thank you all here for your input and suggestions I do appreciate it.

DennisF

I'm glad you got it taken care of. Also, thank you for the final reply since we all learn from it!

Back