In-line valve, handle broke off, leaking.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elocs1747

Reaction score
Round, metal handle completely broke apart when stuck which is not unusual. Water is leaking from the stem, but the screw that holds the handle on is stuck fast and will not move except along with the broken handle. I've tried to hold the broken handle with pliers while trying to turn the screw, but it won't budge.

What to do, what to do?
TIA

Can you get a wrench on the hex nut below the stem and tighten it up, stopping the leak?

Can you get a wrench on the hex nut below the stem and tighten it up, stopping the leak?

Yes, tried that, the leak comes out at the top, so I'm thinking it must be the gaskets inside but I can't get that screw off that holds the remaining piece of the handle.

Please post a picture so we can give you the information necessary to fix your problem.

Please post a picture so we can give you the information necessary to fix your problem.

There really is nothing to see. The cheap, round metal handle broke apart when it was stuck on leaving just the small circle on the top where the screw holds it on. The screw is holding fast to this remaining part of the handle. The water may be turned on and off using a pliers on what's left of the handle or the screw on top. The thing is that this is just a slotted screw and I don't want to risk stripping it and making it worse. The large nut down below will turn all the way free, it's the screw that is holding what's left of the handle tight to the stem.

Latest posts

Back