Broken Sewer Line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anygirlx

Reaction score
Our drain in the basement backed up yesterday. We called Rotorooter and they couldn't have anyone out until tomorrow so we called a plumber. The plumber came in, ran a snake through the drain, and said we have a broken pipe. He pulled it out and it was all black and sludgey, sent a camera through and same thing all sludgey/muddy. He's quoted us $3900, so far, to replace the broken pipe.

The thing is, about 10 years ago in a different house I had a similar problem. We called roto rooter and at the time we were concerned we would end up having to replace sewer line. It turned out that roto rooter did their thing and we were okay.

I'm wondering, do you think if we had someone come out with more than just a snake, but with the thing that has the blades on it to chop up the roots, we could do with out the line replacement?

We enrolled in the monthly insurance through the water company at the first of the year, but it turns out that only insures the water line. They actually have a separate insurance for the sewer line. Makes sense I guess but in my head we were getting insurance for all the pipes outside be it sewer or water. You live and learn! In the meantime if we just chop up the roots we could get the proper insurance. Thoughts?

Having sludge on the cable is not a indication that you have a broken pipe. What you have is a soft stoppage. In most cases it can be cleared by working the cable back and forth through the stoppage. Pushing a camera down a line that is plugged will show nothing. The line needs to be cleared before you can see the condition of the pipe. I suggest you get a 2nd opinion.

Before i say a line is broken i use a hydro jet to clean it out. I would exhaust every possibility before taking the word of someone who says sludge is a broken line. Almost all lines have sludge some worse than others. With all that build up you cant tell if line is broken unless it is totally collapsed. Make sure whoever is using a camera you are present and watching the monitor. It would not hurt to get a second opinion. If he was able to get his cable through the line it is not collapsed. A hydro jetter will clean that line to almost how it was originally. Also ehen you cable a line the plumber needs to use a blade the same diameter as pipe. 3 inch line 3 inch blade. 4 inch line 4 inch blade

Thank you, I am going to call tomorrow and see if we can get another opinion. My husband did watch the camera and he wasn't able to get it past the area. The plumber did say that this problem has been a long time coming and that there should have been signs long ago. He said this was one of the worst he has seen, which makes me skeptical instantly. I don't know exactly how to convince my husband of this as he is a pretty trusting sort. He cited the plumber's military service as a reason to trust him... Anyway, that's not your area of expertise. Thanks again for the help.

If you had a serious medical issue would you trust first opinion or get a second one. Plumbers are paid by commision. Not to say you dont have a problem but cant hurt to get another company out to back up first companies story. Do not tell other company what first company found let them tell you the problem and see if stories match.

Thank you everyone. We had the roto rooter guys come out (I'm sure they aren't exactly the most qualified people in the field). They got the clog/roots/whatever out and ran the blade through 3 or 4 times. They only charged us $175. That was yesterday and so far so good (knock on wood or other superstitious things I'm supposed to do to make sure not to get jinxed). In the meantime, we've signed up for the sewer line insurance from the water company. It pays up to $10,000/year or $5,000/incident. Hopefully we won't need it, but if we do we'll have it! Anyway, thank you!

That was a smart move it will come in handy if you need it and sounds like you will if you have roots

If there's a break and there's a camera involved they should pin point the break and show you proof. Sometimes pipes rot or connections are not proper and do cause drainage issues. However while the cameras down there take a look for yourself. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

Roto rooter hires red sealed journey plumber too so a lot of guys are qualified

A single backed-up or slow drain in a home means there is a clog somewhere. But when all the drains—from the kitchen sink to the showers to the toilets—became clogged up, then the issue almost certainly comes from a sewer line that has suffered severe damage and needs replacement from plumbing professionals.

if anyone faced with problem of broken sewer line then we must have to check what the problem is and Is there need of replacement of pipe? Contact with licensed and professional plumber who give you advice and try to repair sewer line. It will be less expensive.

Latest posts

Back