toilet valve shut, but still leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needstlc

Reaction score
I know I will eventually need a plumber, but I would like a temporary solution to this problem. I have a toilet that has a leak coming from above the shut off valve. The valve is off, but the water still drips. There is water in the tank that never drains or seems to evaporate. If the leak doesn't empty the tank where is the water coming from? Do I need to drain the tank? If there is still a leak after I drain it should I find a way to keep the flush valve open so the water goes into the toilet? The water leaks outside the toilet, into a small basin.

Last edited:
I don't know if I have translated right.. I try to answer.. Are you sure that the valve is completely closed?Anyhow, the tank should have a overfull inside the drain valve..when the water enter, and the filler not stops , when water passes the level of overfull pipe, goes into the toilet..After your plumber will change the filler..I'm sorry if I dont understood your question..

Is this a minor job that I can handle on my own with instruction?

Very simple. If you can post a picture or two, we will show you exactly how to do it.

We can probably talk you through this.

First thing we need to do is make sure of what your problem is.

Shut the valve under the toilet off fully. Flush the toilet, and hold the handle down until all of the water empties. Use a shop vac or a sponge to get most of the rest of it. Then, if the tank slowly starts refilling with water, you know that the shutoff valve isn't holding.

Next, add some food coloring to the tank, and then turn the water back on. Make sure that there is enough food coloring to give a decent tint to the water. Now you will be able to tell for certain if the leak is coming from the tank or the supply line.

Report back, with a few pictures.

The valve is still off and the tank almost completely empty. The drip continues, but is next to nothing in comparison to what it had been. I notice that when I raise the float ball, the drip increases, if that is an indicator of anything. I will now wait to see it the tank refills.

It took about 20 hours for the tank to refill and for the rate of the dripping to reach the point where it was before the tank was drained. I added coloring to the tank, the basin does not contain colored water.

So I am correct in thinking that the water that is leaking into the small basin that you are catching it in is not colored?

If so, then it is most likely leaking from the connection between the fill valve and the supply line. The best choice for DIY is going to be a stainless steel braided flexible supply line, like this:http://www.lowes.com/pd_100405-320-B4T12U-2_0__?productId=3130035

Yes, the water that has been filling the basin is clear, no color. I will follow the link to Lowes.

I have been dividing my attention between the toilet leak and my car. I was told the carburetor needed to be cleaned and it has taken nearly the entire week.

Phish's suggestion is a solution to a common problem. The other major source of the problem is the seal at the bottom of the fill valve. the surest way of solve this problem (if it's not solved by using Phish's suggestion) is to replace the fill valve - it will have a new seal - and not cost too much. But, before replacing the valve, you can tighten the nut at base of the tank. After each flush, that assembly sees a 'shock' that eventually can cause a drip.

I got the car back a few days ago and I hope to attend to the plumbing project over the weekend.

Latest posts

Back