How to vent an upflush toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseW

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a Saniflo SaniAccess3 upflush toilet for my basement and after reading the instructions and doing some research on the internet, I'm still unclear on how to vent it. I don't have access to any vent lines from the floor above and I was hoping to not have to run a new pipe all the way up to the roof from the basement.

I do have access to the main 4" sewer line that goes all the way across the ceiling of the basement.
Is it acceptable to tap the toilet's 1" drainage pipe into the lower end of the 4" main sewer line and then connect my vent pipe further up the line of that same 4" sewer line?

Thanks for the help!

Re-read the instructions.. they clearly state in several spots NOT to tap into the bottom of an existing horizontal drain line..

With that system, you do not need to tap into an existing vent..

*** Please keep in mind that the system you are installing is a pressurized system.. if your connections and supports are not correctly fastened, you will have a large mess on your hands..

Re-read the instructions.. they clearly state in several spots NOT to tap into the bottom of an existing horizontal drain line..

With that system, you do not need to tap into an existing vent..

*** Please keep in mind that the system you are installing is a pressurized system.. if your connections and supports are not correctly fastened, you will have a large mess on your hands..

I didn't actually mean that I would tie in to the "bottom" of the horizontal drain line. If I did that, all of the waste water would run down into the upflush toilet unit. What I meant is that I would tie in to the horizontal drain line at a low point in the horizontal run, but I would still use a wye connection that is pointing up and waste falls down into the horizontal line.

Then, further up on the horizontal run I was thinking of tying in the vent pipe since that horizontal run itself is vented. The only thing I don't like about that is the vent pipe will have to go down a bit at the end in order to tie into the top side of the main horizontal stack. I would think it would "work" though. No?

I didn't actually mean that I would tie in to the "bottom" of the horizontal drain line. If I did that, all of the waste water would run down into the upflush toilet unit. What I meant is that I would tie in to the horizontal drain line at a low point in the horizontal run, but I would still use a wye connection that is pointing up and waste falls down into the horizontal line.

Then, further up on the horizontal run I was thinking of tying in the vent pipe since that horizontal run itself is vented. The only thing I don't like about that is the vent pipe will have to go down a bit at the end in order to tie into the top side of the main horizontal stack. I would think it would "work" though. No?

So--did you do this? how has it worked out? how did you end up venting it?

you need 2 pipes for a upflush. a 3'' drain and a 2'' vent

upflush-toilet-300x250.jpg

So--did you do this? how has it worked out? how did you end up venting it?

Good question? It has been almost 2 yrs since the original poster dropped in and asked that question. \
We get a lot of hit and runs here. Sometimes the questions don't get answered properly or in a timely manner.
Just a few regulars who like to volunteer their knowledge with others now and then when they can.

Seems like maybe you were looking for an answer to a similar problem maybe.

The answer to his question would be NO. You can not connect the vent to the waste line farther upstream as he was suggesting. If the waste line backed up the vent could foul. Vent has to connect to another vent above the flood rim of the fixture for the other waste lines.

To follow up on what I did at least 2 years ago.... Yes I did vent as I had said and it has been working flawlessly.

To follow up on what I did at least 2 years ago.... Yes I did vent as I had said and it has been working flawlessly.

I've been reading a lot of online reviews at Amazon on Saniflo, and its competitors. The reviews make little sense collectively--either 5 stars or 1,2 stars. Makes me wonder if the 5 star reviews are company people. Have you been happy with it? Any issues? and most importantly, if you had it to do over, would you still use an upflush? and if so, would it best a Sani-flo product? Or would you bust concrete?

I'd love to see some pictures of how you tied into the soil stack and vent stack.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures and its all covered by Drywall now. To explain, I put a wye on the main stack pointing up, just like the other places where there were tie ins to the stack, except I had to reduce all the way down to 1”. The vent is the same thing except it's tied in further up the line by about 8’ and the vent pipe is 2”.

As for the saniflo, I have the sani-access 3 (I think that's the model) and I have the main flush pipe go through the wall so you can't see the box that does the pumping and it's quieter. The pump typically runs about 5 seconds per flush. I have had no issues at all with it and as I said it's been 2 years. I hope it continues to work flawlessly. The only thing I don't like is that the water level in the toilet is lower than the rest of my toilets. If I had to do it over I would definitely do the same thing. I would NOT want to bust up concrete!

Latest posts

Back