Jacuzzi - Slow Leak #2 - Looking for an external sealant.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celife

Reaction score
I recently posted about a slow leak and was able to fix it by applying Leslie's Pool & Spa Lube between the cap and the filter housing. Unfortunately I found another leak during that process.

There is a PVC pipe, about 2.5" in diameter that connects to another pipe using, for lack of a better term, a "twist on" seal. I tried my best to get it loose, but it is stuck on there, and there is actually no room to separate the pipes even if I got it loose.

So there is a slow leak coming out of this connection. I'm wondering if anyone knows of some kind of sealant/glue/epoxy/etc. that could be applied to the outside of the pipe to stop a slow leak?

Last edited:
Without a picture, I'm only guessing, but it seems similar to a filter connection union. If so, they are notorious for developing small, extremely small cracks which prohibit getting a tight enough seal and will always leak until replaced. If possible, post up a picture and we will give you our input.

Thanks much, Havasu. Unfortunately, replacement isn't an option since it's wedged in a tight spot with no space around it, and I'm unable to loosen it. I began searching for something I can apply externally and found a product called J-B Weld WaterWeld (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRQ0TW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20). I'll attempt to apply the WaterWeld when it arrives on Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, they can be a real bugger to loosen. I sometimes have luck loosening those unions by using the large rubber band wrenches, but even those tools only work so-so. Hopefully JB Weld will work for you. Please let us know if it does.

Thanks for the well wishes...or should I say, "weld wishes"! I'll post the results of this attempted solution!

To share an update, I tried the JB Weld "WaterWeld" (twice) and it didn't work. So my next attempted solution is going to be a "Seal a Leak" approach. I will remove my Jacuzzi's filter, dump in the product and let it run for over 8 hours (and keep my fingers crossed...this leak is getting old). Here is the product I'll be using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZ13UBA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 (am waiting for it to arrive).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and let you know that stuff will not work. Too much pressure and it might mess up other parts. If you take a picture of the union, we can provide you a few alternatives which will work for ya.

Thanks for your feedback, Havasu. I'm attaching two images (near & far) of the area that is leaking. The red circle shows the general area on the far image, and the blue droplet shows where the leak is specifically (it's underneath the connection shown). I'd say it's dripping at a rate that causes the water level of the Jacuzzi to drop approximately 2 inches per day.

jacuzzi-leak-near.jpg

jacuzzi-leak-far.jpg

Last edited:
As I suspected, that union is designed to allow removal of the Hydro Quip unit. Your best bet is to remove the unit completely, verify that the union is cracked, and fix it correctly. It may require you to contact the Hydro Quip company directly for a replacement part, if the company is still in existence.

If you want to attempt to "jury rig" the union, I'm wondering if it would be possible to cut out the entire union and replace it with a Fernco flexible coupling?

flexible-couplings-stock.jpg

That union is connecting your plumbing to the heater element. I'm with Havasu, the fernco might be your easiest fix.

I sold Hot Tubs for a while. Parts are nearly impossible to find because there are so many different brand names and manufacturers that make the stuff. Then there is the lack of space to make any thing different hook up in the space provided. Trying to patch a pipe from the outside that is under pressure almost never works.

Remember Bars Leak? It was put in radiators to stop leaks. It also stopped up lots of other things. I would stay away from this type of fix.

Thanks Havasu, I'm always here, just don't say too much. Most questions asked here are Plumbing related and I'm not a Plumber. So I just keep quiet and learn. I do have a pretty good background in water filtration though along with the Pump and Well business.

Thanks havasu snd speedbump. What would work best for cutting the PVC pipe in a confined space? (if it comes to using the fernco approach). Yes, correct parts are tough and sometimes impossible to find...this is a very old Jacuzzi.

I agree with Phish on the cable saw, but get one better than the last one I purchased. Damn thing broke off while in the middle of the pipe, hand surged forward and I cut the crap out of my hand from a rock! ;)

(yeah, probably Harbor Freight junk)

Two other methods drain your tub completely I had a leak on a joint on my personal hot tub after we bought my last house, after it was dry two days I used a Oatey Fix-it stick made a ring and set it around the leaky section of PVC pipe, let it setup for 96 hours and tested it, held just fine. I have used the stuff on pressure fittings up to 75 psi with out issue, was designed to be a temp fix ended up staying in place till the end of the heating season about 4 months.

The other method if you can just the union apart, the white PVC part you can cut in a few places and snap off with a screw driver the fitting that is then match up a new male union piece and glue it in. I had to do that for my heater on the same hot tub, took a while to find the right union threads but fixed it solid.

image-3706306974.jpg

Latest posts

Back